[comp.sys.mac.apps] Teensy Excel question

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (03/21/91)

I have a problem in Excel 2.2 that I'm sure has a simple answer. I'm creating a
link between two cells in different worksheets. The problem I'm having is that
when I leave my source cell blank (indicating *missing value* rather than 0),
my destination cell always gets the value zero. This is mucking up my
calculations (average and standard deviation).

My question: is there any way to suppress the link returning a 0 intead of a
missing value?

I did RTFM but couldn't find any thing about it. (Which doesn't mean it's not
there, in bold face, staring me straight in the face!)

-Rajiv Arora
--
Addresses:
	UUCP:   ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!rajiv

robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.150720.9313@ee.rochester.edu> rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) writes:

>My question: is there any way to suppress the link returning a 0 intead of a
>missing value?

I've got the "brute force, complex formula" solution.  Maybe someone has
a more elegant method, but here's mine.  Replace the basic formula with
the following:

   =IF(ISBLANK(Worksheet2!$A$1),"",Worksheet2!$A$1)

Of course, in this example, Worksheet2 is the linked worksheet, and I'm
referencing cell $A$1.  Change to suit your requirements.  ;).  Warning:
This could get very memory-intensive if you have >lots< of links that
you need to check for zero/blank status.  However, it does work, and will
correctly treat a zero and a blank differently when performing averages
and the like.

-rob.