[comp.sys.mac.apps] Norton Utilities $49 special offer & question

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (03/19/91)

Just got a "special offer, supplies limited" in the mail.
Symantec is offering the Norton Utilities for $49.
Call 1-800-343-4714, ext.712.

My question:  Norton seemed to have won the net.utilities
battle hands-down a few months ago.  Is anybody aware of
a reason for the "fire sale"?  Problems with System 7.0?

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

labc-1ic@web-1a.berkeley.edu (Willy S. Liao) (03/19/91)

In article <47999@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>Just got a "special offer, supplies limited" in the mail.
>Symantec is offering the Norton Utilities for $49.
>Call 1-800-343-4714, ext.712.
>
>My question:  Norton seemed to have won the net.utilities
>battle hands-down a few months ago.  Is anybody aware of
>a reason for the "fire sale"?  Problems with System 7.0?
>
>-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
>-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

Well, I called Symantec because I was interested in this, but I found out
that Norton Utilities is not yet compatible with System 7.  It's not
their fault as far as I can tell; the extensions to the File Manager in
System 7 require a non-trivial amount of work to deal with.  Speed Disk
appears to operate somewhat alright under System 7, but I'm told that
Finder 7 now maps out bad sectors on the fly & that this may confuse
disk optimizers (don't know if that's the case with Speed Disk 1.0x).

At any right, Norton Disk Doctor will not run on a disk that has been
"touched" with System 7 (it displays a dialog), so don't bother getting
Norton Utils right now if you are a System 7 beta user.

Willy Liao
labc-1ic@web.berkeley.edu

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (03/19/91)

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

> My question:  Norton seemed to have won the net.utilities
> battle hands-down a few months ago.  Is anybody aware of
> a reason for the "fire sale"?  Problems with System 7.0?

Although there appear to be some problems between Norton Utilities and
System 7.0, I wouldn't guess that to be the reason for the sale. Instead, I
expect they are doing this to clear inventory (i.e., an update is coming),
or just to thank users of other Symantec products, not including Norton
Utilities.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Micro Orchard Co.         UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (03/19/91)

In article <47999@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>Just got a "special offer, supplies limited" in the mail.
>Symantec is offering the Norton Utilities for $49.
>Call 1-800-343-4714, ext.712.
>
>My question:  Norton seemed to have won the net.utilities
>battle hands-down a few months ago.  Is anybody aware of
>a reason for the "fire sale"?  Problems with System 7.0?
>
>-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
>-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

Norton does NOT run on disks used with System 7.0.  Apparently, Sys7
goes through a phase when, if it detects a hard disk used with System 6.x
or below, it actually *changes* the format of the disk itself.  Writes a
new boot block, et al.  (That's what the "Updating disk for new system
software..." message is about.)  And Norton can detect these changes,
and it doesn't work with Sys7 disks.

Oh no -- does this mean that Macintosh will start to have divisions in
software/hardware like the (gasp) IBM world??!?  Will we have "pre-7.0"
and "post-7.0" software??!?!?
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar18.215211.4921@agate.berkeley.edu>, labc-1ic@web-1a.berkeley.edu (Willy S. Liao) writes:
> Well, I called Symantec because I was interested in this, but I found out
> that Norton Utilities is not yet compatible with System 7.

So, does anybody know the situation with SUM II?

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick