[comp.sys.mac.apps] WORD 4.0 with AfterDark and MultiFinder

bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) (02/20/91)

I got a problem that I would appreciate any help on.

Under Multifinder, I boot MS Word 4.0.  I also have the INIT called After Dark v2.x.
If I type in a bunch of stuff (not sure this is a requirement to see this problem)
and then go off and do something else (not on the computer), AD then takes over and
saves my screen.  Some time later (10+ minutes) I come back and try to do something
in the Word session.  Nothing happens.  At first I though that the machine had hung
but if I click the mouse a bunch (cursor does respond to mouse movement) after a
while (a minute or so) the application finally wakes up and plays the queued up
events that I did trying to wake it up.

Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?

As far as I can tell, the combination is Word 4, MultiFinder 6.0.5, AD 2.x set
to Saturi (sp?) and with a password.  I have a Mac IIci with 5Mb RAM.

Help.

--Bruce
--
*** These are my opinions and not necessarily those of MGC ***
Bruce Holm                  /  (503) 626-7000

johnc@synopsys.com (John Crossley) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.021041.4242@mentorg.com> bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce
Holm) writes:
> Under Multifinder, I boot MS Word 4.0.  I also have the INIT called
After Dark v2.x.
> If I type in a bunch of stuff (not sure this is a requirement to see
this problem)
> and then go off and do something else (not on the computer), AD then
takes over and
> saves my screen.  Some time later (10+ minutes) I come back and try to
do something
> in the Word session.  Nothing happens.  At first I though that the
machine had hung
> but if I click the mouse a bunch (cursor does respond to mouse movement)
after a
> while (a minute or so) the application finally wakes up and plays the
queued up
> events that I did trying to wake it up.

We are getting similiar results here.  We are using Moire, Word 4.0,
System 6.0.5 and Multifinder.  The hardware is Mac IIcx or Mac IIci with
Radius 19" B/W display.

It seems to work if I remove Moire.  I can't say yet if Moire is to blame
or is just interacting with one of the other INITs.

John Crossley                       (415) 962-7069
johnc@synopsys.com

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.021041.4242@mentorg.com> bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
:Under Multifinder, I boot MS Word 4.0.  I also have the INIT called
:After Dark v2.x. If I type in a bunch of stuff (not sure this is a
:requirement to see this problem) and then go off and do something else
:(not on the computer), AD then takes over and saves my screen.  Some
:time later (10+ minutes) I come back and try to do something in the
:Word session.  Nothing happens.  At first I though that the machine
:had hung but if I click the mouse a bunch (cursor does respond to
:mouse movement) after a while (a minute or so) the application finally
:wakes up and plays the queued up events that I did trying to wake it
:up.
:
:Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?

I have found that sending the mouse into the sleep corner, and then back out
(or just typing in the password again) usually seems to get word to wake up.

Interestingly, any mouse clicks or typing while Word was "asleep" then seem
to get processed after Word wakes up.

And, yes, it seems that Word is the only application that has a problem with
After Dark (Word also has some incompatibilities with AltWDEF, Front+Center,
..., so I'm NOT surprised).  What a hack.
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane

nm@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Nicolas Mercouroff) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb20.021041.4242@mentorg.com> bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>I got a problem that I would appreciate any help on.
>
>Under Multifinder, I boot MS Word 4.0.  I also have the INIT called After Dark v2.x.
>If I type in a bunch of stuff (not sure this is a requirement to see this problem)
>and then go off and do something else (not on the computer), AD then takes over and
>saves my screen.  Some time later (10+ minutes) I come back and try to do something
>in the Word session.  Nothing happens.  At first I though that the machine had hung
>but if I click the mouse a bunch (cursor does respond to mouse movement) after a
>while (a minute or so) the application finally wakes up and plays the queued up
>events that I did trying to wake it up.
>
>Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?
>
>As far as I can tell, the combination is Word 4, MultiFinder 6.0.5, AD 2.x set
>to Saturi (sp?) and with a password.  I have a Mac IIci with 5Mb RAM.
>
>Help.
>
>--Bruce

I had the same problem when I tried the "Satori" animation of After Dark 2.?
on a Mac LC (256 colors + PseudoFPU).

I think that the problem comes from the computation time for each "cycle" of
Satori, which could be huge (~ 1 minute if you don't have a REAL FPU). As
After Dark waits until a cycle is finished to check for any events and
wake up the Macintosh, all the events you induce (clicks, keystrokes) are
queued up.

Conclusion : either change the animation in After Dark, or admire the
gorgeous "paintings" of Satori for a while when you wait for your Mac to wake
up.

-Nicolas.

rush@mnementh.metaphor.com (Ed Rush) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Feb20.021041.4242@mentorg.com> bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:

>[using Multifinder, MS Word 4.0, and After Dark v2.x.]
>... AD then takes over and ... Some time later (10+ minutes)
>I come back and try to do something in the Word session.
>Nothing happens. ...
>Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?

I use that same combination without any problem.

>As far as I can tell, the combination is Word 4, MultiFinder 6.0.5, AD 2.x set
>to Saturi (sp?) and with a password.  I have a Mac IIci with 5Mb RAM.

Ahh, now there is a pair of differences between us.  Mine is
an SE and I do not use a password.  Aren't you supposed to
use 6.0.7 with the IIci?
  Ed Rush, employed by but not speaking for
  Metaphor Computers, Mtn. View, CA
     UUCP: [...!{apple|decwrl}!]metaphor!mnementh!rush
     Internet: rush@mnementh.metaphor.com
Calm down, everyone, it's only ones and zeroes.

marty%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Martin Furuhjelm) (03/06/91)

In <2107@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> rush@mnementh.metaphor.com (Ed Rush) writes:

>In article <1991Feb20.021041.4242@mentorg.com> bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>>
>>[using Multifinder, MS Word 4.0, and After Dark v2.x.]
>>... AD then takes over and ... Some time later (10+ minutes)
>>I come back and try to do something in the Word session.
>>Nothing happens. ...
>>Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?

>I use that same combination without any problem.

I on the other hand had exactly the same problem, but found a quick work-around
I put the cursor in the Sleep Now corner, let the fish spawn, re-enter the
password and I'm up and running again.

Marty

--
-----Martin Furuhjelm     <marty%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
-----UUCP: oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com!oliveb!cirrusl!marty

tschofe@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (martin ric tschofen) (03/06/91)

I have a somewhat similar problem.
While in Word 4.0 AD can suddenly kick in while I'm typing. That's on a
SE with Sys 6.0.5.
Any idea?

Martin Tschofen

jonwd@milton.u.washington.edu (Jon Wiederspan) (03/22/91)

In article  rush@mnementh.metaphor.com (Ed Rush) writes:
>In article bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>>
>>[using Multifinder, MS Word 4.0, and After Dark v2.x.]
>>... AD then takes over and ... Some time later (10+ minutes)
>>I come back and try to do something in the Word session.
>>Nothing happens. ...
>>Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?
>>As far as I can tell, the combination is Word 4, MultiFinder 6.0.5, AD 2.x set
>>to Saturi (sp?) and with a password.  I have a Mac IIci with 5Mb RAM.
>
>Ahh, now there is a pair of differences between us.  Mine is
>an SE and I do not use a password.  Aren't you supposed to
>use 6.0.7 with the IIci?

I use the same combination as Ed mentioned and have no crashes. You might
make sure that your using Word 4.00b or later (for IIci compatibility).
Otherwise, I would find another copy of you Saturi module and dump this one;
it might be faulty.
And DON'T use 6.0.7 with a IIci.  That WILL cause crashes.  6.0.5 should be
just fine until 7.0 comes out.

Jon Wiederspan                          "Warm cookies and cold milk are good
Research Consultant - Software Design    for you.  So is total, complete, and
University of Washington                 overwhelming domination of the skies."
College of Engineering             -- Gen. 'Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf
Technical Japanese Program            (maybe ???)