[comp.sys.mac.apps] Quickeys Questions

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (03/19/91)

I have been toying with Quickeys II for a while now, and overall I
think that no Mac should be without it. It is everything that
MacroMaker was supposed to be but isn't, and the interface is
surprisingly simple and pleasant, once you learn what types of events
the little icons signify.

I do have two questions for which I couldn't find the answer in the
manual, but perhaps somebody on the net knows something I overlooked.

The very first thing I tried to do with Quickeys was to re-define my
command-E key: I want it to mean *dismount* a diskette, not just eject
it. Has anybody succeeded in doing this?

The second thing was a problem that became apparent after toying
with it some more. It is the problem of: "How do I remember what
my Quickeys stand for?".
What it boils down to is that I would desperately like a prefix-key
possibility for my Universal quickey set.

For instance, I have created quickeys for five of my most often used
cdev's. What I really want to do is use two-key sequences for recalling
these, i.e. "ctrl-p ctrl-a" for AfterDark, "ctrl-p ctrl-g" for GateKeeper,
etc.
I could then use e.g. 'ctrl-d' as prefix for recalling certain desk
accessories, 'ctrl-a' as prefix for starting applications, in short:
create a hierarchy of reasonably mnemonic names that I can still
remember without having to have listings lying around.

At the moment I don't think Quickeys allows the possibility of such a
prefix key, and I suppose the best solution will be to use combinations
of shift,ctrl,cmnd and option instead.

Still I would be interested in hearing what other people think of this
idea, and how they solve the problem of accumulating Quickeys.

--
Leo Breebaart  (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/20/91)

The way I remember which keys are what is that I almost exclusively
only use QK to define the function keys at the top, and then I print out
the template and put it there.

(Well, actually, I made my own template to put there as I don't like
the way QK prints out the templates. Also, I used colors to denot cate-
gories of things, and not just key placement.)

Ian Chai
chai@cs.ukans.edu
2fntnougat@ukanvax.bitnet

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/20/91)

In article <leo.669395259@galaxy>, leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) writes...
>The very first thing I tried to do with Quickeys was to re-define my
>command-E key: I want it to mean *dismount* a diskette, not just eject
>it. Has anybody succeeded in doing this?

 Sure! Just define a sequence of Pretzel-option E twice. This will dismount a
 disk.

 Very, very handy! Even works if the diskette is not selected.

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

sm196103@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) (03/20/91)

First things first:  Ejecting/dismounting disks,

I use a mouse drag to physically take a disk from its normal position to
the trash can to dismount it.  Of course, this will only work for disk that
are in a specific position on the desktop, but I find it works rather well.

Second:  Having too many quickeys,

I have an extended keyboard and find that I CANNOT program all of the Fkeys to
do something - there are just too many key combinations (e.i. F1, Shift-F1,
Option-F1, Shift-Option-F1, Command-F1 see what I mean?  there are endless
possibilities) for me to fill with quickeys.  I suppose I could define all
of them to do things, but that would be rather AR, lazy and would cause
too many problems with remembering which was which to be useful.

Anyway, I agree that Quickeys is the best thing to hit the market!

Scott
--
Scott Cherkofsky			"The experience of going through
sm196103@seas.GWU.edu			 life may be intended as a warning

pkilllea@unix2.tcd.ie (Tom Killalea) (03/22/91)

In <2892@sparko.gwu.edu> sm196103@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) writes:
>First things first:  Ejecting/dismounting disks,
>I use a mouse drag to physically take a disk from its normal position to
>the trash can to dismount it.  Of course, this will only work for disk that
>are in a specific position on the desktop, but I find it works rather well.

Have you tried cmd-opt-e-e (that's two e's) - surely quicker than
dragging and less hassle than attempting to remap cmd-e.
--
Tom Killalea |  [0[11353]1] 772941 x.2165 |  Trinity College
             |    pkilllea@unix2.tcd.ie   |

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/23/91)

In article <leo.669395259@galaxy> leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) writes:

   The very first thing I tried to do with Quickeys was to re-define my
   command-E key: I want it to mean *dismount* a diskette, not just eject
   it. Has anybody succeeded in doing this?

Sort of...  There are two good methods.  One is to alias command-E to
drag a disk from a particular place (or from the cursor locatoin) to
the trash...  The other one (which I just thought of) is to alias
Command-E to be the sequence Command-Option-E Option-R.  This will do
exactly what you want...

                                 I would desperately like a prefix-key
   possibility for my Universal quickey set.

I would as well, and I don't think there is any way to do that...