[comp.sys.mac.apps] Does Suitcase 1.2.8 know about TrueType?

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (03/21/91)

Well, the subject line says it:
Does Suitcase II 1.2.8 know about TrueType fonts?  I recall somebody claim
that it did, but I can't get it to work.  I have put all four fonts
(Helvetica, Courier, Times and Symbol), both the TrueType and the bitmap
variants, in the System file, and TrueType works fine; but if I put either of
the two descriptions in a separate folder that is opened in Suitcase, the
system forgets about the one that was not in the system file.

So, the question is:
Is my assumption about Suitcase wrong, or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (03/22/91)

--

`alo, `alo!

I only have the 4 fonts in my system (the last 4 that you can't
delete).  I put the rest of my font plus True Type in one font's
suitcase.  I then used Suitcase II to open it alongs with other fonts
and DAs...  I have about 30+ fonts in all.  Everything seems to works
fine, though.

The only thing I see that we are different is that I am running 1.2.9.
The update just came out, oh... 2-3 days before True Type stufff were
available (on apple.com).  I got it off from BIX, so there should also
be on Compu$erve, GENie, AOL, and other by now...

Live Long and Perspire!
__Mouse.o()~              | AppleLink: U1364 ------ BITNET: mouse@untvax
Dhanapong Saengrussamee   | BIX: d.mouse.s ------ Compu$erve: 71301,1516
Tech'Support, CECS & TCET | GEnie: d.saengrussa ------- IP:129.120.20.10
University of North Texas | Internet: mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ---- GMT -6
PO Box 5155 - UNT Station | UUCP: ...!uunet!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse
Denton, TX 76203-5155     | Phone: (817) 565-4435 -- FAX: (817) 565-4425

calvin@portia.stanford.edu (Peter Chang) (03/22/91)

In article <3184@charon.cwi.nl> jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:
>Well, the subject line says it:
>Does Suitcase II 1.2.8 know about TrueType fonts?

I got the TrueType stuff off of Apple.com yesterday, and I have
been using it with SuitCase without any problems. I used the same
procedure for teh TrueType fonts as I use for bitmap fonts.

>I put either of the two descriptions in a separate folder that is opened in
>Suitcase, the system forgets about the one that was not in the system file.

I read somewhere that if you have a bitmap version of a font the
system will choose it instead of the TrueType font. I'm not sure
about this, but I think that if you have two different definitions
of a font the system will probably choose the one in the system because
it will search the system file after it finds that the font is not
installed in the application or the document. Since the font is installed
in the system it never gets a chance to see whether it is installed
elsewhere by Suitcase or whatever.

All of this is pure conjecture, so if someone who really knows finds
any blatant errors I hope they will correct them.

Peter Chang                           | "Check me. Am I losing my mind?"
E-Mail: calvin@portia.stanford.edu    |                 David St. Hubbins
Snail Mail: PO Box 9603               |
            Stanford, CA  94309       | "Eagles may soar, free and proud,

sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) (03/22/91)

In article <3184@charon.cwi.nl> jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:
   Well, the subject line says it:
   Does Suitcase II 1.2.8 know about TrueType fonts?  I recall somebody claim
   that it did, but I can't get it to work.  I have put all four fonts
   (Helvetica, Courier, Times and Symbol), both the TrueType and the bitmap
   variants, in the System file, and TrueType works fine; but if I put either of
   the two descriptions in a separate folder that is opened in Suitcase, the
   system forgets about the one that was not in the system file.

Well, this is a problem even if you don't use TrueType fonts. To get
it working put all fonts with the same name either in the system file
or in a separate file.

--
Lars Sundstrom, Lund University, Department of Applied Electronics,
Box 118, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden Phone: +46-46109513 Fax:+46-46129948

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (03/25/91)

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:

>Well, the subject line says it:
>So, the question is:
>Is my assumption about Suitcase wrong, or am I doing something wrong?
>Thanks,

I was doing something wrong.
All versions of a font must be in the same file (SuitCase doesn't combine
FONDs).
Thank you all for the help,
	Jurjen