[comp.sys.mac.apps] End of Trapeze

SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (03/13/91)

I discover from DeltaPoint that Trapeze 2.1 will not run under System 7.0. This
is sad news - I loved that spreadsheet - no cruddy lines/rows/columns - just
neat blocks of data, great graphics and a super environment. So, question time:
does anyone know of a Trapeze equivalent/near miss that I can use. Not Wingz -
it is so restricted compared to Trapeze. Any others?
Thankxs..
Rob Beynon, Biochemistry, Liverpool Uni, UK. (SB06@UK.AC.LIVERPOOL)

simon@mmpe.mineral.ualberta.ca (Simon Tortike) (03/15/91)

SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:

>I discover from DeltaPoint that Trapeze 2.1 will not run under System 7.0. This
>is sad news - I loved that spreadsheet - no cruddy lines/rows/columns - just
>neat blocks of data, great graphics and a super environment. So, question time:
>does anyone know of a Trapeze equivalent/near miss that I can use. Not Wingz -
>it is so restricted compared to Trapeze. Any others?
>Thankxs..
>Rob Beynon, Biochemistry, Liverpool Uni, UK. (SB06@UK.AC.LIVERPOOL)

This is terrible news... I wish someone would pick up this program, upgrade
it and restart distribution.  I for one would pay for an upgrade.  It is
the best bloody spreadsheet I have used, except for its poor programming
environment (a key improvement in any possible upgrade, anyone?), with
great graphics.  I mean, which other spreadsheet can calculate a
gudermannian function today, never mind four or five years ago?
--
W. Simon Tortike,                   | tel     : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical       | fax     : 403/492-7219

m_herodotus@csc32.enet.dec.com (Mario Herodotus) (03/15/91)

--
In article <91071.175809SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>, SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>From: SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
>Subject: End of Trapeze (sniff!)
>Date: 12 Mar 91 17:58:09 GMT
>
>I discover from DeltaPoint that Trapeze 2.1 will not run under System 7.0.
>This
>is sad news - I loved that spreadsheet - no cruddy lines/rows/columns - just
>neat blocks of data, great graphics and a super environment. So, question
>time:
>does anyone know of a Trapeze equivalent/near miss that I can use. Not Wingz -
>it is so restricted compared to Trapeze. Any others?
>Thankxs..
>Rob Beynon, Biochemistry, Liverpool Uni, UK. (SB06@UK.AC.LIVERPOOL)

	Rob, I also like Trapeze a lot...did the people at Deltapoint say
that they did not plan to upgrade the product?  From your message, that's
what I gathered, but I'm hoping that they will upgrade.

Mario

      I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K3 ]  |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation    |
Customer Support Center          | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.             |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919       | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus

(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520        |
[direct line (719) 592-5520]     |

SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (03/19/91)

Yes - that's what they said - no plans to upgrade.. I too would like to see
someone pick this up and develop it. It is streets ahead of things like Excel
3 - I use Trapeze all the time for 'playing' with data, for standard lab
analyses, and for simulations. I'd like a macro language, but I'll take Trapeze
over any of the other spreasheets.

For those who don't know about Trapeze, it is a totally free format spreadsheet
where data are set up in blocks (use type 'invisible' for intermediate calcs)
and named. The blocks resize themselves automatically - take a block, and enter
the formula 1->10 - you get 10col,1row block with cells containing the numbers

1 to 10. Change the formula to 1->20 and the block resizes.. Name this block
"horiz". Now make another bloc, named "vert" and put in the formula 1|10 -

this makes a 1col,10row block containing 1..10. Now, the neat bit, make a
third block, and enter the formula 'horiz * vert' - and it changes to a
10r,20c block with a multiplication table in it...!!

It's a simple example, but illustrates Trapeze well. The rest of the screen

/page is blank (no guidelines, grids or similar). The block can be outlined
and look good when printed. Text blocks allow for labelling, and graphics can
be put anywhere on the screen/page.

Please, someone, rescue Trapeze and market it hard and properly! This is a
scientists spreadsheet..

Rob

Rob beynon, Biochemistry, Liverpool, UK

quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark Quinn) (03/25/91)

In article <91078.080944SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>Yes - that's what they said - no plans to upgrade.. I too would like to see
>someone pick this up and develop it. It is streets ahead of things like Excel
>3 - I use Trapeze all the time for 'playing' with data, for standard lab
>analyses, and for simulations. I'd like a macro language, but I'll take Trapeze
>over any of the other spreasheets.
>
>Please, someone, rescue Trapeze and market it hard and properly! This is a
>scientists spreadsheet..
>
>Rob beynon, Biochemistry, Liverpool, UK

Here's another hearty endorsement of Trapeze.  I use it as my
spreadsheet (I've tried others, but Trapeze ends up being so simple),
and graphing package, and number juggler, and....  It's not quite what
you think, it doesn't start up with a blank spreadsheet, you create
blocks of the size you need.  It's called a Presentation Spreadsheet,
which means you can 'hide' and 'show' what you want, but it also lets
you graph your data, have lots of different styles of text, customize
the look, etc.  I used it to create overheads, figures and tables in
papers, etc.

It also is remarkably bulletproof, conceptually simple (odd, doesn't
follow Mac guidelines, and yet is Maclike in it's intuitiveness) and
quite sophisticated for how old it is.  I didn't use it often, but could
quickly get back into the swing of it, I wonder how true that is of
other spreadsheets.

So, it won't be upgraded to run under System 7?  Sigh.  All in all, it
was a good investment and I'm sorry to see it die.  It was all but
ignored by the magazines (although one of the spreadsheet summaries
mentioned it recently, held up well to the others), and I've always
assumed that I was alone in using it.  Nice to hear others liked it,
too. -- Clark

Clark N. Quinn						(412) 624-9581
Learning Research and Development Center		quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh				quinn@pittunix.bitnet