[comp.sys.mac.apps] Two questions about KiwiEnvelopes

chapman@alc.com (Brent Chapman) (03/22/91)

I've been considering buying KiwiEnvelopes, but I have two simple questions
I'd like to ask first.

1)  The ads for it show an example envelope that, among other things, has
    "Printed by KiwiEnvelopes" printed along the bottom left edge, under
    the return address.  Does this program actually have the audacity to
    print something like that on each envelope?

2)  How well does it work with a TI PS-35 laser printer?  One problem I've
    had using other envelope printers (in particular, the one on Sumex-AIM,
    whatever it's called) is that the TI feeds envelopes through the opposite
    side of the manual feed slot than most other printers (particularly the
    Apple printers), and some programs can't deal with this; they assume that
    the envelope either feeds down the center of the paper path, or down the
    same side as on the Apple printers, and make no provision for envelopes
    fed down the other side.

Thanks!

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Ascent Logic Corporation
Computer Operations Manager                     180 Rose Orchard Way, Suite 200

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (03/22/91)

In article <1033@greeley.alc.com> chapman@alc.com (Brent Chapman) writes:

>I've been considering buying KiwiEnvelopes, but I have two simple questions
>I'd like to ask first.

>2)  How well does it work with a TI PS-35 laser printer?  One problem I've
>    had using other envelope printers (in particular, the one on Sumex-AIM,
>    whatever it's called) is that the TI feeds envelopes through the opposite
>    side of the manual feed slot than most other printers (particularly the
>    Apple printers), and some programs can't deal with this; they assume that
>    the envelope either feeds down the center of the paper path, or down the
>    same side as on the Apple printers, and make no provision for envelopes
>    fed down the other side.

KiwiEnvelopes has the same problem.  I've tried using the demo with
my QMS PS-410, which has the same problem.  In order to use it, you
have to have a version of the LaserWriter driver that supports
edge-fed envelopes as a page size in the Page Setup dialog.  I
called Kiwi about this, and they said that QMS had hacked the driver
to support the page size.  Called QMS and they sent us a copy.  As
it happens, I believe the newest drivers from Apple support the page
size now, since the release of the Personal LaserWriter NT, which
has the same "feature".  Try using driver version 6.0.2 (comes with
System 6.0.7) or 6.1 (comes with one of the TrueType files available
on apple.com).  If that fails, call TI.

Me, I was relatively happy with the Kiwi demo for small jobs, but I
wound up setting up a template in MS Word to mail merge envelopes
from the same source we're using for a bunch of form letters.  Kiwi
promised to address the issue of "wrong-feeding envelopes" in their
next update, probably in a few months.  When they do, I intend to
purchase it.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Nothing falls up without being hurled

heuring@csn.org (Vincent Heuring) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.031205.1460@cbnewsj.att.com> ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>In article <1033@greeley.alc.com> chapman@alc.com (Brent Chapman) writes:
>
>>I've been considering buying KiwiEnvelopes, but I have two simple questions
>>I'd like to ask first.
>
>>2)  How well does it work with a TI PS-35 laser printer?  One problem I've
>>    had using other envelope printers (in particular, the one on Sumex-AIM,
>>    whatever it's called) is that the TI feeds envelopes through the opposite
>>    side of the manual feed slot than most other printers (particularly the
>>    Apple printers), and some programs can't deal with this; they assume that
>>    the envelope either feeds down the center of the paper path, or down the

I just opened my new copy of Kiwi Envelopes two days ago, to use with the
new TI PS-35, and noted that the README file on the K.E. disk specifically
says that the current version does *not* support the TI printers.

Bummer.

--
---
 Vincent Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (03/26/91)

No, it doesn't put "KIWI ENVELOPES" on the envelope.  That's probably
just an example in the ad.

Steve Klingsporn