[comp.sys.mac.apps] Hierarchy drawing software?

tj@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (03/14/91)

	Are there any Mac applications that can automate the drawing
of hierarchies of the following type:

       /|\
      b c d
     /\   /\

and

 /
a-c
 \

	Note that I want diagonal lines to connect the nodes and I
usually don't want boxes around nodes.

	I've seen an add for something called TopDown.  Will this do
what I need?  A program that will also let me produce flow diagrams
would be an added benefit.

	---Todd
--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

pevans@umd5.umd.edu (Peter Evans) (03/14/91)

In article <95272@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <tj@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>	Are there any Mac applications that can automate the drawing
>of hierarchies of the following type:
etc....

There is a shareware application called "Designer Draw v3" on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu  I think it is in the app directory.  It allows
you to define boxes with text inside them and lines between them.
Once defined you can move them and the links float with the boxes.
There are a number of boxes and link types and you can define your
own.

I've looked at it a little and might do exactly what you want.  It
also allows you to infinitely put diagrams in other diagrams (sort of
hypertext for structure diagrams).

There is quite a good manual and $45 to the author if you keep it.
I have no connections with the author.

Peter

bobd@zaphod.UUCP (Bob Dalgleish) (03/27/91)

In article <95272@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <tj@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>	Are there any Mac applications that can automate the drawing
>of hierarchies of the following type:

>       /|\
>      b c d
>     /\   /\

>and

> /
>a-c
> \

>	Note that I want diagonal lines to connect the nodes and I
>usually don't want boxes around nodes.

>	I've seen an add for something called TopDown.  Will this do
>what I need?  A program that will also let me produce flow diagrams
>would be an added benefit.
The program that I have been using for awhile is DiagramMaker from
Action Software.  It will do trees in any of four orientations, with any
of three line styles (angled as above, squared off, angle then square)
and two arrow styles.  Best of all it will do them from a text outline,
including one imported from an outliner.  It also allows the box style
to be set before or after the tree is created.

I also use it for drawing arbitrary diagrams that I use for explaining
concepts or designs.

Action Software
Suite 122
1507 East Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
27514
--
-- * * * Remember: I before E except after DALGL * * *--
Bob Dalgleish		bobd@zaphod.UUCP