[comp.sys.mac.apps] FileMaker Pro query

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) (03/28/91)

eksa02@castle.ed.ac.uk (P J Hutton) writes:

>A colleague has a fairly large database that has been transferred from
>RapidFile (ack!) to FileMaker Pro.  Some of the records have a comma in
>a field (if anyone's really interested, I could say why), but we need to
>be able to find the records which have commas.  Which brings the obvious
>question, how do we search for a comma?  Yes, we've (or rather he has)
>RTFM, and we're registered.  Any answers?

One way to do it is to set up a calculation field which contains the
caclulation "position(field,",",1)".  This will have a non-zero
value for the records in which "field" contains a comma.  You can
then do a find for records which have this calculation greater than
zero.

Of course, it would be nice if you could just search automatically, but
for now you'll need this workaround to search for punctuation characters.

Brian
--
Internet: skip@claris.com                 AppleLink: SCHIPPER1