[comp.sys.mac.apps] EndNote with OzTeX ???

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (03/22/91)

	This is probably a wrong question since OzTeX is a typesetting prog.
At the moment, I am quite tempted to switch to OzTeX.  However, I have
a reference database in EndNote.  TeX people use BibTeX.  My question is:
Can I use EndNote with OzTeX or do I have to get the information converted?
Is the conversion tedious?

	Thanks in advance.

Ida

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (03/24/91)

I don't know.  Anyone else?
--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

stan@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Stan van de Burgt) (03/26/91)

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au writes:

>	This is probably a wrong question since OzTeX is a typesetting prog.
>At the moment, I am quite tempted to switch to OzTeX.  However, I have
>a reference database in EndNote.  TeX people use BibTeX.  My question is:
>Can I use EndNote with OzTeX or do I have to get the information converted?
>Is the conversion tedious?

You can use Endnote on plain text files, so it should also work for OzTeX
input files. You do have to add a citation format without typestyles like
bold etc. to EndNote however, but that's not too much work. Also, you should
choose another set of citation markers (default [ and ]) because these are
used a lot in TeX files. Try ##.

Another option is to export the database and use bibtex.

I tried to make a new export format called BibTeX. Then, one could export
all records in BibTeX format and feed it to bibtex. The problem I
encountered is that the BibTeX format is something like:

@article{key,
  author = "...",
  title = "...",
  note = "..."
}

Unfortunately, endnote converts the literals "author" and so on to the
contents of the field with that name.

Anyone a solution for that one?
--
   S.P. van de Burgt                       PTT Research, Neher Labs
                                           PO Box 421, Leidschendam

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeff Kantor) (03/28/91)

In article <8183@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> stan@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Stan van de Burgt)
writes:
.. stuff deleted..
>I tried to make a new export format called BibTeX. Then, one could export
>all records in BibTeX format and feed it to bibtex. The problem I
>encountered is that the BibTeX format is something like:
>
>@article{key,
>  author = "...",
>  title = "...",
>  note = "..."
>}
>
>Unfortunately, endnote converts the literals "author" and so on to the
>contents of the field with that name.

There is an easy fix documented in the Endnote Manual.  If a string would
conflict with a field name, then the string should be enclosed with
backquote characters.  I used this to good effect in building a style
to be read by Framemaker in the Framemaker MML format.

One should very carefully read the chapter on reference styles before
attempting to construct one.  There are some cute tricks one can play
with conditionally including fields in the export file.

On the face of it, a BibTex generator should be relatively easy. But
that's always an easy thing to say....

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (03/28/91)

In article <8183@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> stan@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Stan van de Burgt) writes:

>Unfortunately, endnote converts the literals "author" and so on to the
>contents of the field with that name.
>
>Anyone a solution for that one?

Yep.  Use the back apostrophe (`) around field names to avoid replacing
with the contents when formatting.  So make it `author` = "..." and it
will work fine.  (So nice to get easy questions...)