[comp.sys.mac.apps] facade question

horcel@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/27/91)

	I just got a startup file called Facade and I have no idea what it
does. Would someone enlighten me?
	Thanx in advancx

horcel@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
op57@ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu

warden@asimov.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (03/27/91)

Article 5081 of comp.sys.mac.apps:
Subject: facade question
>	I just got a startup file called Facade and I have no idea what it
> does. Would someone enlighten me?

>horcel@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>op57@ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu

  As far as I can tell, Facade provides you will an easy way to put
  color icons on a file/disk/ect...  Using ResEdit you can examine
  the Facade Icons file - note the names associated with each icon.
  Once Facade in in you Sys. Folder & booted, any file/disk/etc..
  that has the SAME name as one of the icons in the icon file will
  now have that icon.  Using ResEdit you can change the names, add
  icons, etc...

  If you ask me ColorFinder or Sundesk seems to
  do a better job, but Facade allows you to put a different icon
  for your harddrive.

  Does anyone else know what more Facade is for?

Sig's are a waste of bandwidth                      Robert Warden
                                                    warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.033213.29314@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> horcel@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>	I just got a startup file called Facade and I have no idea what it
>does. Would someone enlighten me?

	Facade is an awesome little INIT which changes the icon of any
_volume_ you mount.  Doesn't do folders or trash can.  Use it like this:

	Open FacadeIcons (you should have gotten this file as well. If not,
make it yourself :) and paste in a cool icon.  Name it (using ResEdit's
get info command) the name of your hard drive.  When you quit ResEdit,
voila! a new icon for your hard drive.  This also works with floppys. I have
about 20 transfer disks I use with names like "Spock" "Moof" "Globe" etc.
and they have those icons.

	For the ResEdit-talented, try making a cicn in "Color Finder" or
"Icon Colorizer", or an icl8 in "Sun Desk" or with System 7.0b with the
same id as the id of the icon in Facade, which has the same name of your
volume.  The upshot of this is that you can have your HD icon be any cicn
you can get your hands on!

	P.S.  Change the name of your HD, drag it a few inches, put it back,
and you've got a new icon (or cicn).  Gotta love it.

Nathan Gasser
gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

--
"Everybody remember where we parked..."

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (03/28/91)

In article <39890@netnews.upenn.edu>, warden@asimov.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) writes:
> Article 5081 of comp.sys.mac.apps:
> Subject: facade question
>>	I just got a startup file called Facade and I have no idea what it
>> does. Would someone enlighten me?
>
>>horcel@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>>op57@ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu

[stuff about facade]

>   If you ask me ColorFinder or Sundesk seems to
>   do a better job, but Facade allows you to put a different icon
>   for your harddrive.

You can do this with ColorFinder too, if you feel up to a little
extra work - just use the IconMaker da, or take a screen dump and
grab the disk icon from there. Paste it into ColorFinder, create
a colour icon, and bingo! a colour hard drive icon!
--
See ya
                                Nigel.

* "If I had a quote, I'd be wearing it."  *  Internet: stanger@otago.ac.nz     *
*       -- Dylan Thomas (I think)         *  SnailMail: Information Science,   *
*                                         *             University of Otago,   *
* "Say no MORE!!!"                        *             P.O. Box 56,           *
*       -- Eric Idle                      *             Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND.  *