[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacWrite II: Problems with TrueType

gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/28/91)

	To recap, in the Read Me file for TrueType, a error in
MacWrite II was mentioned in which TrueType fonts over 127 pts would
not display properly.  And additional error in the Reduced View was
also discovered, and mentioned on the net by myself and Laurence.

	Today, I got through to Claris Technical Support and spoke to
a tech about the problem, as recommended by the Read Me file.

	The response:

	"Claris is aware of the problem, and we are looking into
solutions.  I can't really say much than that."

	Granted, this reeks of "there's things in the works that I
can't talk about," but that's their perogative.  The thing that
bothers me is that I had to call Claris Tech Support to find this out.
This is something that could have -easily- been put in the TrueType
Read Me file - especially now that Claris is part of Apple again.

	<sigh>

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.210902.11743@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

> 	Granted, this reeks of "there's things in the works that I
> can't talk about," but that's their perogative.  The thing that
> bothers me is that I had to call Claris Tech Support to find this out.
> This is something that could have -easily- been put in the TrueType
> Read Me file - especially now that Claris is part of Apple again.

Yeah but most of Apple still treats Claris as an outside company.

If they started mentioning Claris products in the system software notes
the other software developers would cry bloody murder - and with good
reason.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/29/91)

In article <0B010004.ivz1ba@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP writes:

>In article <1991Mar27.210902.11743@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>> This is something that could have -easily- been put in the TrueType
>> Read Me file - especially now that Claris is part of Apple again.
>
>If they started mentioning Claris products in the system software notes
>the other software developers would cry bloody murder - and with good
>reason.

	That self-same Read Me file also mentioned TrueType problems
with Microsoft Word, and the fix for said problems.  All that they
needed to say was that Claris knew of the problem and was working on
it.  I don't think that would have breached the OS/App wall...