[comp.sys.mac.apps] Can I unravel foo.tar.z ? Summary.

wostner@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ulf Wostner) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar30.110132.20903@agate.berkeley.edu>, I wrote ...
>Is there an application available (yet) for the Mac OS that can
>unravel a file of the form foo.tar.Z from a UNIX machine?

Yes indeed!

There is MacCompress 3.2 by Lloyd Chambers to uncompress a la Unix:
foo.tar.z -> foo.tar

Then there is Tar 2.0 to untar a la Unix, written by Craig Ruff
with excerpts from John Gilmore's public domain program:
foo.tar -> foo

Both programs are available by anonymous ftp:
sumex-aim.stanford.edu from the directory /info-mac/util

Other files of interest are in the /info-mac/unix-utilities
directory.

- "mcvert"  handles binhex **coding
- "sit" and "unsit" handle the popular "StuffIt" compression format.

Thanks for the helpful responses from

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton)
johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (Bill Johnston)
ntg!dplatt@apple.com (Dave Platt)
time@ice.com (Tim Endres)

= Ulf (Olaf) Wostner
= Math Dept, CCSF 	"Never met a deadline I didn't like."
= wostner@garnet.berkeley.edu;  voice 415-848-2343; fax 415-649-7830

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Apr1.093251.16411@agate.berkeley.edu>, wostner@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ulf Wostner) writes:
> There is MacCompress 3.2 by Lloyd Chambers to uncompress a la Unix:
> foo.tar.z -> foo.tar
>
> Then there is Tar 2.0 to untar a la Unix, written by Craig Ruff
> with excerpts from John Gilmore's public domain program:
> foo.tar -> foo

Does anyone know the email addresses of these individuals?

Thanks.
tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208