[comp.sys.mac.apps] System 7.0 and Suitcase

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/22/91)

In article <16920@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

   Is the 15 DAs/15 fonts restriction gone in System 7.0?  Or do I still
   need Suitcase?  Does Suitcase even work?

Well, there is no 15 DA limit or font limit in System 7...  But there
was no 15 FONT limit in Sys. 6...

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (03/25/91)

Suitcase (if it works) is pretty obsolete in 7.0.
The only reason *I* can see for using it is to avoid dumping fonts
and sounds into the System file.  Adobe's Font Porter is pretty good --
a simple extension that would allow you to have such resources in separate
folders in your extensions folder would be nice.

I don't think there is a font limit.  Fonts and TrueType fonts all go into
the System file.

Desk Accessories launch a la real applications.  Why write any more da's?
They default to going into the Apple Menu Items folder (and hence the
Apple menu) in the System folder.

steve

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (03/27/91)

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:

> Suitcase (if it works) is pretty obsolete in 7.0.

Suitcase 1.2.9 works fine under System 7.0, and while it may seem like it
is obsolete, it still has its uses. One use being the ability to group
related accessories together..

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (03/28/91)

In article <w5RFZ1w163w@tosh.UUCP> starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) writes:

>klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:
>
>> Suitcase (if it works) is pretty obsolete in 7.0.
>
>Suitcase 1.2.9 works fine under System 7.0, and while it may seem like it
>is obsolete, it still has its uses. One use being the ability to group
>related accessories together..
>
>John
>
>--
>John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
>Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta
>Micro Orchard Co.          AOL: AFA John; CompuServe: 71520,3556

This may be great for current Suitcase owners, but can anyone justify
the expense of purchasing it for Sys7?  Or for use now if they plan to
go to 7 as soon as it's out?

All it does now is let you group DAs in places other than the system
subfolders, right?  (Actually, DAs in the above sentence can be
replaced by suitcases, right?)

It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.  Unless
the number of people who continue to use sys6 is great, and they don't
now own Suitcase, but would buy it in the future.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

markc@pro-angmar.UUCP (Mark Crump) (03/28/91)

Well, I work for a service bureau in Boston and we need suitcase to exist.
We also use ATM constantly, which System 7 also hates.  I also noticed that
System 7 seems to hate itself, the puzzle in 7.04b doesnt work
----
ProLine:  markc@pro-angmar
Internet: pro-angmar!markc@alfalfa.com
UUCP:     uunet!alfalfa!pro-angmar!markc

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/28/91)

In article <17322@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes...
>It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.  Unless
>the number of people who continue to use sys6 is great, and they don't
>now own Suitcase, but would buy it in the future.

I disagree. One use of Suitcase is to poont (tech term) your fonts and DAs
 into separate files. Why? So the Apple Installer doesn't blow away all your
 stuff every time you upgrade! All I keep in the System are the Apple DAs, and
 the Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco fonts. I've got close to 7MB worth of
 external suitcases. I'd hate to poont all that into the System file!

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/28/91)

In article <17322@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.  Unless
>the number of people who continue to use sys6 is great, and they don't
>now own Suitcase, but would buy it in the future.

Yeah, that's pretty much true. I have enjoyed Suitcase for a while,
and it has made life much easier for me in sys 6, but I wouldn't tell
anyone to buy it at this time. It's a great product, tho, for its time.

--
Ian Chai        Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
                Bitnet:   2fntnougat@ukanvax

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (03/28/91)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>This may be great for current Suitcase owners, but can anyone justify
>the expense of purchasing it for Sys7?  Or for use now if they plan to
>go to 7 as soon as it's out?

>All it does now is let you group DAs in places other than the system
>subfolders, right?  (Actually, DAs in the above sentence can be
>replaced by suitcases, right?)

>It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.  Unless
>the number of people who continue to use sys6 is great, and they don't
>now own Suitcase, but would buy it in the future.

Well, I think that it is actually far more useful for fonts than DAs under
System 7.  To install a font, you need to quit from all running apps (other
than the Finder).  Suitcase allows you to add fonts without this hassle.
Additionally, it supports FKEYs and sounds, which the "mover" doesn't deal
with too well -- at least getting them into the System.  Suitcase's usefulness
is tied directly to how often you might have fonts that you only want to
use, temporarily, or with just one app.  I don't like modifying my System
file and I like to keep my ATM stuff outside the System Folder.

--

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (03/29/91)

In article <17322@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>All it does now is let you group DAs in places other than the system
>subfolders, right?  (Actually, DAs in the above sentence can be
>replaced by suitcases, right?)

>It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.

Let's say you use the System 7 Finder to move a bunch of fonts, DAs, FKEYs,
etc. into your System.  Then you start getting bombs, and you decide to
reinstall your system.  Of course you begin by trashing the System
file...but that means you'll have to install all fonts, etc., again.
That's why it's better not to install resources directly into the System.
--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com  walker@math.scarolina.edu

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (03/29/91)

In article <4220@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>In article <17322@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes...
>>It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.  Unless
>>the number of people who continue to use sys6 is great, and they don't
>>now own Suitcase, but would buy it in the future.
>
>I disagree. One use of Suitcase is to poont (tech term) your fonts and DAs
>into separate files. Why? So the Apple Installer doesn't blow away all your
>stuff every time you upgrade! All I keep in the System are the Apple DAs, and
>the Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco fonts. I've got close to 7MB worth of
>external suitcases. I'd hate to poont all that into the System file!
>
>Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
>--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
>A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 7.0, you just "poont" them into the
DAs or Fonts folders in the System folder.  Updating doiesn't change
the values of these folders, right?  Why would Suitcase be of any use
here?

Now, as for temporarily opening a file, that migh be true.  But I sure
don't do that, and I wonder how many users do...

rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (03/29/91)

In article <17347@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>In article <4220@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 7.0, you just "poont" them into the
>DAs or Fonts folders in the System folder.  Updating doiesn't change
>the values of these folders, right?  Why would Suitcase be of any use
>here?
>
>Now, as for temporarily opening a file, that migh be true.  But I sure
>don't do that, and I wonder how many users do...

	Well, here's one.

       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
   rhumphre@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/29/91)

In article <17347@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 7.0, you just "poont" them into the
>DAs or Fonts folders in the System folder.  Updating doiesn't change
>the values of these folders, right?  Why would Suitcase be of any use
>here?

No, System 7.0 doesn't have folders for fonts and DA's.  If you want
to use a font, you need to drop it onto the System file.  To remove
it, open the System file by double-clicking it like a folder, then
drag your fonts out.

On my Mac SE, putting things into and taking things out of the System
Folder is painfully slow -- that's why I use Suitcase II.  Instead of
having to quit out of all my open applications and wait for my dozens
of fonts to be copied into the System file whenever I want to use
them, and then waiting a good long time for the System file to open so
I can move them back out once I'm done, I can just open and close them
in seconds with Suitcase.  Helps keep my Font menus shorter, too; I
close up large font suitcases when I don't need to have them around.

DA's are treated just like applications.  To use them, either put them
into the Apple Menu Folder to have them appear on the Apple menu, or
just put them anywhere and run them like you would any normal program.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (03/29/91)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

> This may be great for current Suitcase owners, but can anyone justify
> the expense of purchasing it for Sys7?  Or for use now if they plan to
> go to 7 as soon as it's out?

With a street price of around $50., I think the convenience of a resource
manager such as Suitcase outweighs the expense. But then, I'm not trying
to sell anyone on it, I was just answering a question.

> All it does now is let you group DAs in places other than the system
> subfolders, right?  (Actually, DAs in the above sentence can be
> replaced by suitcases, right?)

Actually, you can make suitcases of DAs, fonts, and Fkeys.

> It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.  Unless
> the number of people who continue to use sys6 is great, and they don't
> now own Suitcase, but would buy it in the future.

Perhaps. Personally, I think Suitcase, and other resource managers like it,
will go through some changes, but I believe they are far from becoming a
part of history.

John

--

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (04/02/91)

In article <17322@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>In article <w5RFZ1w163w@tosh.UUCP> starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) writes:
>
>>klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:
>>
>>> Suitcase (if it works) is pretty obsolete in 7.0.
>>
>This may be great for current Suitcase owners, but can anyone justify
>the expense of purchasing it for Sys7?  Or for use now if they plan to
>go to 7 as soon as it's out?
>
>All it does now is let you group DAs in places other than the system
>subfolders, right?  (Actually, DAs in the above sentence can be
>replaced by suitcases, right?)
>
>It seems to me that this product is history, realistically.  Unless
>the number of people who continue to use sys6 is great, and they don't
>now own Suitcase, but would buy it in the future.
>
>jas

Actually, Suitcase is quite useful under System 7. For me, its big use is to
allow me to not place all my font files in the system file. I have a large
collection of Adobe fonts; installing them into the system file would balloon
the file size to something quite unreasonable. Suitcase allows me to place
the fonts in a seperate font directory along with their associated postscript
files. Makes for a less crowded system file and folder.

So, Suitcase will probably live on under System 7!

- Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib

In article <4062.mac.apps@pro-angmar> markc@pro-angmar.UUCP (Mark Crump) writes:

>Well, I work for a service bureau in Boston and we need suitcase to exist.
>We also use ATM constantly, which System 7 also hates.  I also noticed that
>System 7 seems to hate itself, the puzzle in 7.04b doesnt work

Gee, works fine for me. Once solved, it produces the characters 7.0, colored
red, I believe. I think I liked the 7.0B1 Sculley puzzle better...
Actually, System 7.0B4 seems quite good. I am having no problems with it and
MPW, and printing now seems sound. System 6? Not for me anymore. I like
System 7 too much!

- Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib