[comp.sys.mac.apps] 4th Dimension

kristinn@rhi.hi.is (Kristinn Eiriksson) (08/10/90)

Hi!

One small question:  Does anyone know the difference between 2.0.10
and 2.0.11 of 4th Dimension?

Thanks in advance,

Kristinn Eiriksson,
Iceland

flowers@csrd.uiuc.edu (Craig Flowers) (08/14/90)

 kristinn@rhi.hi.is (Kristinn Eiriksson) writes:
>One small question:  Does anyone know the difference between 2.0.10
>and 2.0.11 of 4th Dimension?

I can't remember but it all really doesn't matter anymore.  They upgraded
to version 2.0.3 recently and then just last week I received a copy of
2.1.  It has major improvements.
-Craig  (flowers@csrd.uiuc.edu)

cws@mbunix.mitre.org (Christopher C. Wilder-Smith) (09/07/90)

I am in the market for a database product and 4th Dimension seems to get
the highest marks in the reviews I've read.  Does anyone have any comments,
advice, or horror stories?

Thanks,

Chris

--
-
- terse, graphically uninteresting, .signature follows:

kaveh@ms.uky.edu (Kaveh Baharestan) (09/08/90)

cws@mbunix.mitre.org (Christopher C. Wilder-Smith) writes:

>I am in the market for a database product and 4th Dimension seems to get
>the highest marks in the reviews I've read.  Does anyone have any comments,
>advice, or horror stories?

>Thanks,

>Chris

I've had a lot of experience with both Omnis3+ (Now 5) and 4th Dimented :-).
E mail me the specs on what you what in your database and I might be able
to say something meaningful about thses two programs.  As it is, each has
it's pros and cons, depending on what it is you want.  Also please send
specs on how much room (MEGS of disc) you have as a maximum.  4th D., takes
one hell of a lot of space.
                                        Kaveh.

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (04/02/91)

Hi there. I was wondering if any 4D users could tell me exactly how fast
4D was as far as multi-user databases are concerned. I hear rumours that
it is _really_ slow. But I know that it is an awesome product.

What I would like from the net world is personal testimonials about why
you decided to use (or not use) 4th Dimension for your multi-user
relational database solution.

Please respond by email. Also, what ever happened to that book that was
supposed to come out about 4-D?

Thanks in advance,
Michael B.

| Michael L Barrow    | "If any of the above offended you, it was     |
| <mlbarrow@mit.edu>  |  my idea to do it -- not MIT's"               |
|     Consultant      | MIT Computing Support Services (CSS)          |
|     Member          | Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)   |
|     Student         | Computer Engineering Major, '93               |