[comp.sys.mac.apps] Excel into Word

myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) (04/02/91)

Would anyone know how to transfer a block of cells from Excel to Word
_stricly_ as text?  To explain: I tried to copy a range to the clipboard and
then paste it into a Word document.  Unfortunately, with my data, I got some
kind of strange formatting that I could not remove!!!  If someone has an
idea, I'd really appreciate it.

Franklin Myers
myers@eniac.seas

BTW Please, no RTFM responses.  I am using SITE liscenced software over a
network and have NO access to manuals.

rik@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Rik Sprague) (04/02/91)

Normally, just copying it through the clipboard will dump it into
Word as a word-formatted Table. You can clear the table format
easily using the Table-to-Text command in the Document menu (full menus).

rik

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (04/02/91)

In article <40218@netnews.upenn.edu> myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) writes:

>Would anyone know how to transfer a block of cells from Excel to Word
>_stricly_ as text?  To explain: I tried to copy a range to the clipboard and
>then paste it into a Word document.  Unfortunately, with my data, I got some
>kind of strange formatting that I could not remove!!!  If someone has an
>idea, I'd really appreciate it.

What you are seeing is Word's Table feature (a sort of spreadsheet in
Word). Do a command-y to see the cells' outlined. To remove the table
and change it back to tab-delimited text, select all the cells in the
table, and select the Table to Text command in the Document menu. This
will give you a dialog box where you have several options on how the
text to is be displayed.

>BTW Please, no RTFM responses.  I am using SITE liscenced software over a
>network and have NO access to manuals.

This is not necessarily an excuse for not reading the manuals. To
utilize well programs as sophisticated as Word and Excel, you need to
have at least some level of documentation available to you.