[comp.sys.mac.apps] Mac running Windows was

mkh6317@summa.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.230656.10768@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, xxmartn@lims03.lerc.nasa.gov writes...
>A MAC running WINDOWS???????
>
>Yech...booo.......hssss......
>
>What'll they think of next??  A SUN which can run A/UX ???????

Actually, I've run Windows 3.0 with SoftPC/AT/EGA already on my IIci.  Even
on this platform, it is a VERY slow puppy.  Supprisingly the IBM people who
run Windows on a 286 platform get *approximately* the same response.  It
would seem that Windows really needs a 386-25mhz platform before a Mac person
would find it useable (if ever ;->).

Truth or fiction:  Most people who bought Windows 3.0 are not currently using
                   it because it is a slow memory pig?

Matt Howard
* Nose pointed well above the horizon, tell your IBM pests,
                        "The Mac simply isn't for everybody."  *

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (03/15/91)

>Truth or fiction:  Most people who bought Windows 3.0 are not currently using
>                   it because it is a slow memory pig?

  It would be interesting to see statistics on this.  I suspect a lot of
  those copies MicroSoft has sold are still sitting on the user's self.
  They put it on and fired up Solitare, then put it away.

  I got back from a Novell training meeting on Windows today, a meeting in
  which the corprate types were fairly well represented.  Hardly any had
  actually rolled the thing out for the users to touch yet. (And those
  that were planning on it seemed to want it for IBM terminal emulation
  and PRoFs access, uhg patooie. c'mon guys, show some vision)

  There's a huge amount of inertia in the DOS world.  Everybody's running
  DOS apps and they're not going to switch over to Windows apps very
  quickly.  There aren't even all that many Windows apps out there yet.
  Until there are, Windows is just a program launcher, and not a very
  good one at that from a cognitive science standpoint--the user has
  to make a paradigm shift from graphical-to-character-and-back when
  running DOS programs.

  Apple still has a year or two long window of opportunity (so to speak)
  before Windows has matured enough to really challenge them.

Don McGregor             | "I too seek the light, so long as it tastes
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  great and is not too filling."

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (03/15/91)

In article <13353@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@summa.tamu.edu writes:

>Truth or fiction:  Most people who bought Windows 3.0 are not currently using
>                   it because it is a slow memory pig?

I can't say for most people, but on the 16 386SX's we have at the computer
lab I work in (brand new, came bundled with Windows and misc software
installed, including Word and Excel), we've got the machine booting with
WordPerfect Shell.  The thing is, the machines don't even have have WP on
them! :-)  This does make it a bit of a pain when I want to play "Rocks"
(love those sound effects!), but that's the way the higher-ups want it,
and they seem to be from the "Anything that isn't an IBM is a toy" family.

I think anybody with less than a 386 has shelved it.  If not, they're
wasting an awful lot of time.

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.3  *********************
*                                     |                                     *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |        I don't speak for IBM.       *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   Hell, I don't even work for IBM.  *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |       oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu         *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

bkuo@girtab.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (03/15/91)

I've been playing with Windows 3.0 for awhile, and I'd also tend to believe
most users have NOT installed it, particularly if you look at the memory
requirements. Running on a 386, it's not too bad (besides the lack of
"real" Windows applications), but on anything without LOTS of extended, as
well as expanded memory, it tends to be ineffective and inefficient.

The amusing thing is reading through the Windows 3.0 manual, and check out
the four different modes it can/will run in, the interesting twists on the
Mac interface, and the features found. The manual, if read side-by-side with
the Macintosh manuals, is almost section-by-section, paragraph-by-paragraph,
identical. I.E. the manual covers the "Desktop" (well, Windows) metaphor,
using the mouse to point and click, and moving/hiding/closing windows.

It's exactly down the Mac interface line, except the programmers had to cope
with a great deal of variety in MS/DOS systems (processors, particularly), so
beyond the pretty simple front pages there's a nasty appendix describing how
to configure it for the '86, '88, '286, '386 processors, and variations
with memory (normal 640K, extended, expanded, protected mode with 386, etc.)

Benjamin Kuo

sdaniels@math (Scott Danielson) (03/16/91)

>A MAC running WINDOWS???????
>
>Yech...booo.......hssss......
>
>What'll they think of next??  A SUN which can run A/UX ???????

This is a side question... I am planning to develop software in both
the Mac world and Windows world.. My question is has anyone used the
pc card that uses the nubus...  and if so what kind of responce time
was there?? Is it worth the extra money???..

I have a MacIIsi and love it....

|Scott W. Danielson             Math Dept Computer Operation Group (M-COG)|
|Internet: sdaniels@nmsu.edu    Bitnet: sdaniels@nmsu.bitnet              |
|UUCP: ucbvax!nmsu.edu!sdaniels US Mail: NMSU,BOX 3MB, Las Cruces NM 88003|
|Phone: (505) 646-5318          FAX: (505) 646-5278                       |
|=========================================================================|
| Remember to hook up your paper shredder to /dev/null so you really make |
|                    sure the bits are really gone.   (O. North)          |

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.023735.26278@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> mcgredo@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Don McGregor) writes:
|>Truth or fiction:  Most people who bought Windows 3.0 are not currently using
|>                   it because it is a slow memory pig?
|>
|  It would be interesting to see statistics on this.  I suspect a lot of
|  those copies MicroSoft has sold are still sitting on the user's self.

This is such an *unbiased* group to be talking about such things.
But I've never been scared of controversy...

I've had Win3 since it came out, and WinWord since it came out, and
Excel 3 since it came out (oh, when will you be able to run Excel 3
on the Mac, anyway?) and have used it quite a bit. Did some work that
really pleased my boss.

|  There's a huge amount of inertia in the DOS world.  Everybody's running
|  DOS apps and they're not going to switch over to Windows apps very
|  quickly.  There aren't even all that many Windows apps out there yet.

You wouldn't know that from what's happening in my company. Between
WinWord, Excel, Powerpoint, ATM, Project, and Designer, we have enough
Windows apps to meet almost all of our needs.

By the way, those are all Win3 apps, though there are versions for the Mac,
I'm referring to the Windows versions

--
The government is not your mother.
The government doesn't love you.

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (03/19/91)

In article <13353@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@summa.tamu.edu writes:

>Actually, I've run Windows 3.0 with SoftPC/AT/EGA already on my IIci.  Even
>on this platform, it is a VERY slow puppy.  Supprisingly the IBM people who
>run Windows on a 286 platform get *approximately* the same response.  It
>would seem that Windows really needs a 386-25mhz platform before a Mac person
>would find it useable (if ever ;->).
>
>Truth or fiction:  Most people who bought Windows 3.0 are not currently using
>                   it because it is a slow memory pig?

Well, we actually use Windows 3.0 here at work.  I'm running it on an
NCR 486/33 MC with 16MB of memory, and it "feels" slower than running the
Mac OS w/ Multifinder on my personal Mac IIcx with 5MB of memory.  As a
matter of fact, just a couple of weeks ago we upgraded the machine from
a 486/25 to a 486/33, and now using Windows is tolerable, whereas before
it seemed awfully slow.  Of course I don't have any benchmark results to
back up my "feeling" of the machine, but I think that how the machine
"feels" is often as important as how it performs in the benchmarks.  I have
no doubt that the 486/33 is a "superior" machine if you only count raw
computing power, but given a choice, I would still choose a Mac to use
anytime.  (Of course, if they were being given away, I would take the
486/33, sell it, and buy a Mac IIfx with a laser printer, and still have
money left over for software!  :-)

Conclusion?  Windows might be a real asset to PC users with POWERFUL PCs,
but I can hardly see any Mac users being converted to using the PC because
of it.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar
--

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (04/01/91)

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM writes:

   In article <13353@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@summa.tamu.edu writes:

   >Actually, I've run Windows 3.0 with SoftPC/AT/EGA already on my IIci.  Even
   >on this platform, it is a VERY slow puppy.  Supprisingly the IBM people who
   >run Windows on a 286 platform get *approximately* the same response.  It
   >would seem that Windows really needs a 386-25mhz platform before a Mac
   >person would find it useable (if ever ;->).
   >
   >Truth or fiction:  Most people who bought Windows 3.0 are not currently
   >                   using it because it is a slow memory pig?

   Well, we actually use Windows 3.0 here at work.  I'm running it on an
   NCR 486/33 MC with 16MB of memory, and it "feels" slower than running the
   Mac OS w/ Multifinder on my personal Mac IIcx with 5MB of memory.

This is my experiences as well.  I run Windows 3.0 on my 16 MHz 386SX
laptop, with 3 MB of RAM.  Word for Windows runs OK, but there are may
annoying pauses.  It cannot keep up with my typing in some modes.  My
Mac Plus is clearly faster, though neither would win a foot race with a
slug, IMO.  I'm sorry to hear that faster 80x86s feel the same kind
of sluggishness.

danielg@med.unc.edu (Daniel Gene Sinclair) (04/03/91)

 >   >Truth or fiction:  Most people who bought Windows 3.0 are not
 currently
 >   >                   using it because it is a slow memory pig?

 We've been using windows 3.0 for 6 months or so, mostly on a 286-16, but
 I've used it on a 386-16 as well.  I grew up on IBM's, so this was a
 welcome change, gui at last!  However, imo windows is klunky and slow.
 Unfortunately, we still have to go to non-windows apps for good
 performance.  For instance, File Manager is a turkey, most ppl I know go
 out to pctools or something similar, even a simple dos shell!  And for
 communications, I still go out to the reliable Procomm, Terminal
 (windows)
 is too awkward.  Besides that, it's vt100 emulation doesn't work with the
 local news software, so using the editor (vi) is not possible |-(.

 I am deciding on what type of micro I will buy, I flip flop a lot between
 getting a 386-16 and an si.  Windows is slow, and I don't want to wait
 any
 longer for a good interface for the ibm.  However, even at University
 prices, the mac is prohibitively expensive ($2100 for an LC).  For that
 price, I can get a 386-16 with a much better monitor (14 in VGA v. 12
 inch
 whatever- the LC monitor appears to have lower resolution - does it?)

 Anyway, the weaknesses of windows keep me considering a mac, even with
 the
 price difference.

 dan

--
<><     "Surrender the hunger to say you must know,                  |
<><      Have the courage to say I believe,                        ==+==