[comp.sys.mac.apps] UltraPaint v Canvas

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) (04/03/91)

So, the ads for these two packages don't really delineate why
I need to buy Canvas rather than UltraPaint for my routine technical
(scientific) drawing/illustration needs. Is the extra $ worth
it? Currently, Canvas 2.1 for $189 with free upgrade to 3.0 sounds
good, but how much more can I do with it compared to UltraPaint,
for $125 (both from MacConnection)? I mean, this really *is* a $64
question!

What's the scoop? Or is my best bet to buy one, try it out, and then
the other, and keep whichever one is best? (Sounds painful...)

Thanks for the info...and e-mail is preferred, though I'll try
to wade through the postings...

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@athena.mit.edu

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (04/03/91)

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) writes:

>So, the ads for these two packages don't really delineate why
>I need to buy Canvas rather than UltraPaint for my routine technical
>(scientific) drawing/illustration needs. Is the extra $ worth
>it? Currently, Canvas 2.1 for $189 with free upgrade to 3.0 sounds
>good, but how much more can I do with it compared to UltraPaint,
>for $125 (both from MacConnection)? I mean, this really *is* a $64
>question!

>What's the scoop? Or is my best bet to buy one, try it out, and then
>the other, and keep whichever one is best? (Sounds painful...)

>Thanks for the info...and e-mail is preferred, though I'll try
>to wade through the postings...

Simple--Ultrapaint is a bitmap-oriented drawing program with _some_ object-
oriented features and Canvas is an object-oriented drawing program with
_some_ bitmap-oriented features. I don't beleive Ultrapaint has any kind of
rotation ability or really flexible polygons.
I used Canvas to produce all sorts of diagrams for various (up to 50 pages)
documents recently. It's not a diagramming program, but is better than MacDraw
or Superpaint. I couldn't imaging using Ultrapaint (will it even print out
well?)

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.055809.17054@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes...
>Simple--Ultrapaint is a bitmap-oriented drawing program with _some_ object-
>oriented features and Canvas is an object-oriented drawing program with
>_some_ bitmap-oriented features. I don't beleive Ultrapaint has any kind of

 Which of them would you say compares most favorably in features to Superpaint
 2.0? I like Superpaint, but want color support, and I'm tired of waiting for
 an upgrade. (Yes, I know Superpaint has a "color preview". Big Deal.)

 Thanks,

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

sandy@pogo.cs.umass.edu (Sandy Wise) (04/04/91)

When looking at Canvas and UltraPaint you will find the two products
have more in common than they have as differences.  UltraPaint is
scaled down version of Canvas 2.

UltraPaint was designed as a competitor to Silicon Beach's SuperPaint,
and as such has much better developed paint tools than Canvas (smear,
multicolor airbrush, etc).  UltraPaint uses the drop in tools to
extend the tool collection.  Canvas offers many more sophisticated
drawing tools, including macros, non-rectangular bitmaps, 32-bit
QuickDraw, Adobe type-1 font outlines as editable curves (3.0), a
spelling checker, multi-page documents, etc... The UP interface is
cleaner than the Canvas one, IMHO, but such things are a matter of
taste.

I bought UP as an all around graphics creation tool and have been very
pleased with it.  The manual is the worst I have ever seen, but that
is another point.  For more technical work, I would probably use
Canvas.  The 3.0 release is expected to have many CAD like features,
but preserve the free-from nature of an illustration tool.

        /s
--
Alexander Erskine Wise /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Software Development Laboratory
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ WISE@CS.UMASS.EDU /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

sandy@pogo.cs.umass.edu (Sandy Wise) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.055809.17054@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

 > Simple--Ultrapaint is a bitmap-oriented drawing program with _some_ object-
 > oriented features and Canvas is an object-oriented drawing program with
 > _some_ bitmap-oriented features. I don't beleive Ultrapaint has any kind of
 > rotation ability or really flexible polygons.

Not true... UP has both object and bitmap rotation and both free-form
closed polygons, and plug in tools for producing regular polygons,
stars, 3d boxes, ...
        /s