[comp.sys.mac.apps] LOGO for the Mac ?

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (06/30/90)

Versions of Logo for the Macintosh.

LCSI Logo (once also known as Microsoft Logo): no longer on the market.
(But perhaps the French language version is still available in Canada?)

Coral Object Logo: no longer on the market: Apple bought out the company.

ExperLogo:  contact
   ExperTelligence, Inc.
   5638 Hollister Ave. #302
   Goleta, CA 93117
   (805) 967-1797
Seems to be quit an old program:  the brochure they sent me this spring
makes a point of saying: "Not limited to 128K!"

Terrapin Logo:   contact
   Terrapin Software, Inc.
   400 Riverside Street
   Portland, Maine 04103
   (207) 878-8200
Also rather old.  I got a copy this spring, it is version 1.0.
I can say from experience that it runs on a Mac IIcx
under System 6.0.5, however.  Single-copy price $99.95.  Multiple copy
deals and site licenses available.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) (03/26/91)

Hello
Does a implementation of LOGO for the Mac exists ?
If so who sells it ?

	jem

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (03/27/91)

In article <680@my.sm.luth.se>, jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) writes:

> Hello
> Does a implementation of LOGO for the Mac exists ?
> If so who sells it ?
>
> 	jem

Yes, there is one, our Computer Science Dept. used to use it.
Unfortunately, I don't remember who sells it, sorry.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

/******************************************************************************\
* "If I had a quote, I'd be wearing it."  *  Internet: stanger@otago.ac.nz     *
*       -- Bob Dylan                      *  SnailMail: Information Science,   *
*                                         *             University of Otago,   *
* "Say no MORE!!!"                        *             P.O. Box 56,           *
*       -- Eric Idle                      *             Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND.  *
\******************************************************************************/

bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong) (03/27/91)

In article <680@my.sm.luth.se> Jan Erik Mostr|m <jem@my.sm.luth.se> writes:

>Hello
>Does a implementation of LOGO for the Mac exists ?
>If so who sells it ?
>
>	jem

2 sources that were posted to the network in June 88 were:

L C S I
9960 Cote de Liesse Rd
Lachine, Que
Canada H8T 1A1
514-631-7081

Coral Object Logo ver 2
Coral Software
Box 307
Cambridge MA 02142
800 521-1027

Hope this helps.

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) (03/28/91)

In article <56694@siemens.siemens.com> bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong)
writes:
>In article <680@my.sm.luth.se> Jan Erik Mostr|m <jem@my.sm.luth.se> writes:
>>
>>Hello
>>Does a implementation of LOGO for the Mac exists ?
>>If so who sells it ?
>>
>>       jem
>>

>2 sources that were posted to the network in June 88 were:
>
>L C S I
>9960 Cote de Liesse Rd
>Lachine, Que
>Canada H8T 1A1
>514-631-7081
>
>Coral Object Logo ver 2
>Coral Software
>Box 307
>Cambridge MA 02142
>800 521-1027
>
>Hope this helps.

From March 1991 MacWorld (p18):   Apple took over Coral in 1989 but didn't
market Object Logo.  Paradigm Software has now taken over Object Logo which is
at version 2.5.  Try phoning 617-542-4245.

emjay@dorsai.com (Michael Lavery) (04/02/91)

jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) writes:

> Does a implementation of LOGO for the Mac exists ?
> If so who sells it ?

Though I believe there is an additional entry, here is the information from
the LOGO Forum on CIS (I have never seen or seen advertised ANY of these
programs) (information is about 30 days old):

Logo for the Macintosh
----------------------
TERRAPIN LOGO FOR THE MACINTOSH is available from Terrapin Inc.,
one of the first companies to offer Logo for the Apple II.
Terrapin Logo is more like the LCSI syntax than the Terrapin
syntax used in their Logo packages for the Apple II and
Commodore computers. ($79.95)

Terrapin Inc.
400 Riverside St.
Portland, Maine  04103
207-878-8200

LogoWriter for the Macintosh is to be available from Logo
Computer Systems, Inc. in the first quarter of 1991.  Call
1-800 321-LOGO for more information.

OBJECT LOGO is a more advanced package for the Mac available
through Paradigm Software of Cambridge, MA. Version 2.5 has
a suggested retail price of $149.00.  Call (617)576-7675 for
more information.  This package comes highly recommended for
serious Logo fan(atic)s.

EXPERLOGO is available from ExperTelligence, Inc.  It is a
compiled Logo with 3-dimensional bunnies (everybody else has
turtles...bunnies go faster). It also comes with a ProLogo
implementation as well.  The syntax is similar to the LCSI syntax
but includes many other LISP features and commands.  This is not an
easy package to use; better suited for the more advanced user.

ExperTelligence, Inc
5638 Hollister Ave. Ste 302
Goleta, CA 93117
(805) 967-1797

 Michael J. Lavery, Esq.       "The only drawback to our public
 CIS:  70416,1110              school system is unsolicited cake."
 GEnie:  EMJAY
 America Online:  EMJAY2                     John Mortimer
 Domain:  emjay@dorsai.com                A Voyage Round My Father
 INTERNET:  ....uupsi!dorsai!emjay            :-?
 GayCom:  1/0 (THE BACKROOM) - GAY LAW

bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong) (04/03/91)

In article <smoRZ1w163w@dorsai.com> emjay@dorsai.com (Michael Lavery) writes:
>jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) writes:
>
>> Does a implementation of LOGO for the Mac exists ?
>> If so who sells it ?
I've been trying to reply To: NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu
but mail keeps bouncing.  I was asked what LOGO is by Marshall of the above
address.  If there are errors, please correct since I am putting together some
rather old recollections.

LOGO is a language developed to encourage children to learn the logic of
programming by programming graphics.  It originated with child psychologists
cum computer scientists (Piaget?) at MIT(?).  It was popularized on the Apple
computer in its heyday and taught to elementary age children back in the late
'70s(when my son was in that age group).  Because it made graphics easy young
children could develop graphics applications more easily than programmers with
powerful mainframes.  It actually has a lot more power than programming
graphics.  One example in the Apple manual is a guessing game which can
determine which animal the player has in mind.

gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington) (04/05/91)

Beatrice Hwong (bmh@demon.siemens.com) adds:

>LOGO is a language developed to encourage children to learn the logic of
>programming by programming graphics.  It originated with child psychologists
>cum computer scientists (Piaget?) at MIT(?).  It was popularized on the Apple
>computer in its heyday and taught to elementary age children back in the late
>'70s(when my son was in that age group).  Because it made graphics easy young
>children could develop graphics applications more easily than programmers with
>powerful mainframes.  It actually has a lot more power than programming
>graphics.  One example in the Apple manual is a guessing game which can
>determine which animal the player has in mind.

Actually, LOGO was invented by Seymour Papert at MIT. I believe he was
influenced by the ideas of Piaget. Papert also invented the LEGO construction
blocks.

An interesting book on turtle graphics is "Turtle Geometry" by Abelson and
diSessa. They have a section in which they use turtles to explain the
theory of relativity. What a concept.
                                     gort@cup.portal.com

glb@gaia.cs.Virginia.EDU (Gina Bull) (04/05/91)

In article  <40930@cup.portal.com>  gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington)
writes:

>Actually, LOGO was invented by Seymour Papert at MIT. I believe he was
>influenced by the ideas of Piaget. Papert also invented the LEGO construction
>blocks.

No, Papert did not invent Lego blocks.  They have been around for more
years than Papert probably has.  Lego blocks are made by Dacta, a
company in Denmark.  Papert did work on a project which allows Lego
blocks and the Logo language to be used together -- Lego Logo.  This
is now a product sold by Dacta.  An interface card allows a micro-
computer (usually an Apple IIe) to control the motors and receive
input from sensors used with Lego Technic-style blocks.  The control
language is Logo.

BTW, Lego Dacta funded a chair for Papert at MIT.

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (04/05/91)

In article <40930@cup.portal.com> gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington) writes:
>Actually, LOGO was invented by Seymour Papert at MIT. I believe he was
>influenced by the ideas of Piaget. Papert also invented the LEGO construction
>blocks.

No, he didn't.  He did, however, receive an endowment from the
manufacturer of Lego blocks. There was extensive coverage in the
papers here when the "Lego chair" was endowed. Someone even built
Papert a chair out of Legos for the occasion.
--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142