[comp.sys.mac.apps] Help with MS Word 4.0 & Portuguese

logan@samba.acs.unc.edu (Logan Wilkins) (04/04/91)

I am trying to find out how to access the Portuguese character set (particularly all of those funky accents and things) from within Microsoft Word 4.0 on the Mac. I appreciate the help.

Logan Wilkins
logan.mus@mhs.unc.edu
Carolina OIT User Service

tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) (04/04/91)

In article <logan.670704436@cumbia> logan@samba.acs.unc.edu (Logan Wilkins) writes:
>I am trying to find out how to access the Portuguese character set (particularly all of those funky accents and things) from within Microsoft Word 4.0 on the Mac. I appreciate the help.

Ah yes, good ole Portuguese! Depending on the font that you are using
all of the accents that you should need are available by using several
key combinations.  You can view all of the special characters that are
available by using a DA called "Key Caps" that came with your system
software. You can get a visual representation by holding down various
keys (like the command, option, option-shift etc) For example should
you want "um til sobre um a" you would press option-n, a.  If you are
talking about the accent usage in older Portuguese (of many centuries
past) then you are pretty much out of luck as far as I know.

De qualquer jeito, eu tenho muito pra fazer, entao ate mais tarde!

Toddinho Carioca
-----
Internet:
tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail:
tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

px@fct.unl.pt (Joaquim Baptista [pxQuim]) (04/06/91)

   Wilkins) writes:

     I am trying to find out how to access the Portuguese character set
     (particularly all of those funky accents and things) from within
     Microsoft Word 4.0 on the Mac. I appreciate the help.

   Ah yes, good ole Portuguese! Depending on the font that you are using
   all of the accents that you should need are available by using several
   key combinations.  You can view all of the special characters that are
   available by using a DA called "Key Caps" that came with your system
   software. You can get a visual representation by holding down various
   keys (like the command, option, option-shift etc) For example should
   you want "um til sobre um a" you would press option-n, a.  If you are
   talking about the accent usage in older Portuguese (of many centuries
   past) then you are pretty much out of luck as far as I know.

You may also want to look at a DA called "Key finder". It draws a
table with all the characters of a selected font. Click in one and it
pops a menu with the key combinations that generate that character.

About the accents of "very old Portuguese", note that you can generate
almost anything using the mathematical typesetting of MS-Word.  I'm
not saying that its pretty, but it sure gets the job done.

--

Joaquim Manuel Soares Baptista, aka px@fct.unl.pt, px@unl.uucp
Snail: CRIA, UNINOVA, FCT/UNL, 2825 Mt Caparica, Portugal

So long, and thanks for all the fish.