[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS-WORD: How can I provide more separation between text and underlining

sadowsky@nyu.edu (George Sadowsky) (04/06/91)

I'm creating a header logo for stationery, one line of which needs to be
underlined.  My problem is that the underlining needs to be 2-3 points
below where Microsoft Word normally puts it, so I need to introduce some
space between the two.  Superscripting the characters also superscripts
the underlining (which is the desirable outcome in almost all cases), and
leaving space at the end of a paragraph obviously does the same thing.  If
instead of underlining I introduce a new line consisting of just
underscores, I have a right alignment problem (which I can solve with
patience) but I introduce too much space.  It's also inelegant, which
wouldn't bother me if it worked.

Can anyone suggest how I can achieve my objective?

George Sadowsky, Director
Academic Computing Facility
New York University
251 Mercer Street
New York, New York  10012-1185
(212) 998-3040

palmer@whistler.sfu.ca (Leigh Palmer) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.195945.19694@cmcl2.nyu.edu> sadowsky@nyu.edu (George
Sadowsky) writes:
>I'm creating a header logo for stationery, one line of which needs to be
>underlined.  My problem is that the underlining needs to be 2-3 points
>below where Microsoft Word normally puts it, so I need to introduce some
>space between the two.  Superscripting the characters also superscripts
>the underlining (which is the desirable outcome in almost all cases), and
>leaving space at the end of a paragraph obviously does the same thing.  If
>instead of underlining I introduce a new line consisting of just
>underscores, I have a right alignment problem (which I can solve with
>patience) but I introduce too much space.  It's also inelegant, which
>wouldn't bother me if it worked.
>
>Can anyone suggest how I can achieve my objective?

I suggest that you put in your line of underlines (at, say,
12 pt). Position the cursor anywhere in the paragraph that
is the underline. Position the line you are working on at
the top of the page. Select "Paragraph..." from the Format
menu. In the "Line:" box under "Spacing:" enter "-2". Click
"Apply". The underline will move up snug as it can get to
the line above it. If you wish to move it down a point
change it to "-3" and click "Apply" again. Continue to
increase the magnitude of the line spacing until you are
satisfied. The "-" sign is a powerful tool, indeed!