[comp.sys.mac.apps] News Readers under MacOS

maples@.UUCP (Greg Maples) (03/29/91)

We are looking for a news reader for the mac.
We've got a central sun server supplying nntp news
to remote A/UX machines.  The users are using rn
for reading, and all goes well.

But what about my poor mac folks?  I have a gbox
running gshare 1.6, so I can export the news directory,
but I'd rather the mac's get their news directly.
Our router is an Apple Internet Router, if that makes
any difference.

1) Is there a direct phase two compatible scheme for this?
2) Do I have to run CAP in a phase one zone for this?
3) Please don't tell me I have to run rn under NCSATelnet!!!

--
Greg Maples                      | These are my opinions, not yours. Keep your
Systems Group Leader             | hands off 'em. They're also not the opinions

dnater@verity.com (Dan Nater) (04/01/91)

I use TCP/Connect-A  made by Intercom.  It works great.
You can get more info about it if you send mail to

comment@intercon.com

dan

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/02/91)

maples@.UUCP (Greg Maples) writes:

>1) Is there a direct phase two compatible scheme for this?

Try TheNews.  It is shareware and works great.  It requires
MacTCP.  A few people have said that it dies on them, but I
have had good luck.

>2) Do I have to run CAP in a phase one zone for this?

Not that I know of.

>3) Please don't tell me I have to run rn under NCSATelnet!!!

Nah, use nn instead.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (04/03/91)

In article <6101@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>Try TheNews.  It is shareware and works great.  It requires
>MacTCP.  A few people have said that it dies on them, but I
>have had good luck.

This question has probably been asked numerous times, but here goes
anyways... Is MacTCP available for anonymous FTP? I checked on
apple.com, but I couldn't find it.

>--
>=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
>= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =
>= Applelink: N1111                                                         =
>=I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six

Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) (04/09/91)

In article <46616@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang)
writes:
> Is MacTCP available for anonymous FTP? I checked on
> apple.com, but I couldn't find it.

MacTCP is not free. It requires a license.

I believe the kind souls who wrote the Eudora mail program
made arrangements to have a licence to redistribute MacTCP.

You can get Eudora (and consequently MacTCP) from
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu in the mac/eudora directory.

You can get a HyperCard Net News Reader stack via the Apple
Programmer's and Developer's Association as part of the
HyperCard MacTCP Toolkit. Or on the Developer CD.

Once you have licensed MacTCP you are able to use any
MacTCP app without further license.

I believe this info to be correct, if you know of any
inaccuracies let me know. Now how do we get this in the
Frequently asked questions.....

Angus Fox
Sun Microsystems Europe Inc - Sitka
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.Sun.com