[comp.sys.mac.apps] 2nd followup for 3D plotting and graphing

aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/07/91)

This is a second followup of my search for 3D plotting and graphing
applications.  It must be able to deal equations like KaleidaGraph.  It must be
able for scientific use.

- Tim
dhlx@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (04/09/91)

>This is a second followup of my search for 3D plotting and graphing
>applications.  It must be able to deal equations like KaleidaGraph.

Have a look at Mathematica.

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (04/09/91)

>This is a second followup of my search for 3D plotting and graphing
>applications.  It must be able to deal equations like KaleidaGraph.

Have a look at Mathematica.  Expensive, complex -- but incredibly
powerful.

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (04/10/91)

In article <70@sierra.STANFORD.EDU>, siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:

|> >This is a second followup of my search for 3D plotting and graphing
|> >applications.  It must be able to deal equations like KaleidaGraph.
|>

|> Have a look at Mathematica.  Expensive, complex -- but incredibly
|> powerful.

-- Now that you mention Mathematica I am reminded of Theorist.
--------------------
Don MacQueen
macq@miguel.llnl.gov
--------------------

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/10/91)

aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>This is a second followup of my search for 3D plotting and graphing
>applications.  It must be able to deal equations like KaleidaGraph.  It must be
>able for scientific use.

Tim,

   You may want to look into Igor (Interactive Graphics Oriented Research
tool).  This is more of a scientific analysis tool which does graphics.
Some like it better that KaleidaGraph, some don't.  It has more of a Unix
feel to it.  You can type into a command line or pull down menus and click
into dialog boxes to create the same commands.  Some call it expert friendly.

   Anyway, you can try Igor out for yourself by getting a fully functional
demo from anonymous FTP "ftp d31rz0.stanford.edu" OR "ftp 36.76.0.151".
The demo as well as scripts (built up of the above commands) can be gotten
from this site.

   Submit questions, comments, and archives to:
        ftp@d31rz0.stanford.edu    (Internet)
        ftp%d31rz0@Stanford        (Bitnet)

Technical support should be directed to WaveMetrics.

Igor is a product of:
     WaveMetrics
     PO Box 2088
     Lake Oswego, OR 97035
     USA
     (503)620-3001
     WaveMetrics@Applelink.Apple.Com            (Internet)
     WaveMetrics%Applelink.Apple.Com@Apple.Com  (Bitnet??)

This archive is not "officially" affiliate with WaveMetrics.

This is moderated by Melissa A. Hines.
Melissa A. Hines           Hines@Portia.Stanford.Edu
Dept. of Chemistry         Hines@Bogart.Stanford.Edu (preferred)
Stanford University
Disclaimer: I am not an employee of WaveMetrics nor do I have any
interest in Igor besides that of a very satisfied user.

     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/10/91)

   My humble apologies.  Igor doesn't know 3D (but Bo does :-).

   You can try Spyglass and DeltaGraph in the commercial app catagory and
NCSA Image or NIH Image in the PD variety.  In fact Spyglass is a commercial
version of NCSA Image.  Sorry about the screwup.