[comp.sys.mac.apps] RESEDIT 2.1 - PIG MODE

billj@uop.edu (Snugglupagus) (04/04/91)

NO MORE!!!!  i am sick and tired of receiving requests from people
saying, "gee.  if you find anything, could you mail it to me?"  the
answer is:

	HELL NO!!!!

the resedit primer is available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  it's in
the /info-mac/tech directory.  if you can't use ftp, TOUGH!  don't come
bitching to me.

a pissed off snugglupagus

p.s. - thanks to the two people that told me where it was.

p.p.s. - don't bother replying to this post - i won't read it.

  "Steppin' on toes is a common routine    |  Send email/flames to:
   Sneakin' up from behind                 |     billj@uop.uop.edu
   You won't get anywhere                  |-----------------------------------
   Dancin' out of time" - Deborah Gibson   |  Disclaimer:  It's all mine!

snyderr@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Bob Snyder) (04/04/91)

In article <27fa64f1.1d38@uop.uop.edu> billj@uop.edu (Snugglupagus) writes:
>the resedit primer is available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  it's in
>the /info-mac/tech directory.  if you can't use ftp, TOUGH!  don't come
>bitching to me.

Or you could use BITFTP at PUCC on the Bitnet to get it, if you don't have FTP
Send mail to BITFTP@PUCC (or BITFTP@PUCC.Bitnet, or BITFTP@PUCC.Princeton.edu)
with the one word command "help" in it to get details.

-----Bob Snyder
Drexel University
SnyderR@duvm.ocs.drexel.edu
(signature in development) :)

--
|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|
|Bob Snyder                  |  Bitnet:   SnyderR@DUVM                        |

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/10/91)

snyderr@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Bob Snyder) writes:

>In article <27fa64f1.1d38@uop.uop.edu> billj@uop.edu (Snugglupagus) writes:
>>the resedit primer is available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  it's in
>>the /info-mac/tech directory.  if you can't use ftp, TOUGH!  don't come
>>bitching to me.

Jeez, what an attitude.

>Or you could use BITFTP at PUCC on the Bitnet to get it, if you don't have FTP
>Send mail to BITFTP@PUCC (or BITFTP@PUCC.Bitnet, or BITFTP@PUCC.Princeton.edu)

Here is every a better way of getting the files that you want.

If you can e-mail to the internet, you can get ahold of any of the
Mac related files via return mail.  The basic idea is to mail to
listserv@ricevm1.rice.edu  (or uunet!ricevm1.rice.edu!listserv) and
put $macarch get <filename> in the body of your mailer.

Look in comp.sys.mac.digest for articles of new software
available on sumex.  For example, to get the file;
/info-mac/util/pyro-401-updater.hqx, you would put
$macarch get util/pyro-401-updater.hqx in your mailer.

NOTE
====
1) There is a limit of 256K on the amount of information sent
   to you per day.
2) Some gateways cannot handle the size of files that are sent
   via this method.
3) There is sometimes a delay between an article announcing some
   software and it showing up at Rice.
4) You will need to ftp the files down to your Mac (I am making
   some assumptions here) and then decode the binhex format and
   unstuff/uncompact/un-archive the resulting archive.  You need
   to get ahold of a binhex tool, from someone that you know at
   work or shool or whatever, at the very least so that you
   can get and decode Stuffit (UTIL/STUFFIT-16-PART1.HQX and
   UTIL/STUFFIT-16-PART2.HQX) and Compactor (UTIL/COMPACT-PRO-13.HQX).

More information
================

This was sent to me from a friendly netter.  Enjoy!

================
I am in a similar situation, not being able to FTP from our site.  My solution
came when I found out about the Listserver at Rice University in Texas.
Basically, they have ported all the Sumex archives over to the listserver and
made them available via uucp emailing techniques.  From your bang path i can
see that you are connected to uunet, so the process is really pretty easy.

The address of the server is listserv@ricevm1.rice.edu    or
uunet!ricevm1.rice.edu!listserv

Send email to this address.  In the body of the message, starting each line in
the left column, type the following:

$MACARCH GET $MACARCH.CONTENTS
$MACARCH GET $MACARCH.RECENT
HELP
INFO ?
INFO REFCARD
$MAC HELP

That should get you going.  The first two lines will get you full directory
listings of the files available.  The first is ALL the files;  the second is
just the last couple months of new submissions.  New postings to Sumex will
typically show up at Rice within a few days.   The last four lines above
will get you various help files, command keyword descriptions, etc.
You can dig further and learn from there ... that's how I figured it out.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/11/91)

>>>the resedit primer is available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  it's in
>>>the /info-mac/tech directory.  if you can't use ftp, TOUGH!  don't come
>>>bitching to me.

I forgot to mention that the full command to include in your mail to
rice to get this primer is the following;

$macarch get TECH/RESEDIT-PRIMER-60.HQX

Enjoy!