[comp.sys.mac.apps] Problems with SAM 2.0

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (04/05/91)

The lab I work in has owned SAM 2.0 for several months.  We have found that one
of the problems with this program is the apparent haphazard manner by which
updates are distributed.  Some friends have told me that they get cards with
the information they need to update the Virus Clinic and SAM CDEV.  We only
find out about the updates when we see a posting.  Apparently, the author, Paul
Cozza, is unreachable as he has people who post messages for him.

I would think (IMHO) that in addition to posting notices, which might be missed on the
newsgroups, a more reliable alternative would be to place the info in various
archives so that one might periodically check that they have kept their SAM's
up to date.

Rich
Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

PS The last virus I got new codes for was about 6 months ago.  If anyone could
pass along the list of codes I might have missed, I would appreciate.
Rich

hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (04/08/91)

  I received updates for SAM 2.0 right up to the time that SAM 3.0 was
made available.  I have no complaints.  In fact, Mr. Cozza is reachable and
I have submitted information about SAM 2.0 to him.

Leonard

werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (04/08/91)

  Rich Friedman wrote:
> The lab I work in has owned SAM 2.0 for several months.  We have found
> that one of the problems with this program is the apparent haphazard
> manner by which updates are distributed.  Some friends have told me
> that they get cards with the information they need to update the Virus
> Clinic and SAM CDEV.  We only find out about the updates when we see a
> posting.  Apparently, the author, Paul Cozza, is unreachable as he has
> people who post messages for him.

	Rich, this kind of bad-mouthing is totally uncalled for and I
	think you owe both SAM-author Paul Cozza and the people who,
	on a volunteer basis, try everything in their power to keep
	net-users well-informed and updated on virus-matters.

	I imagine that the way you get update information normally, is
	to be a registered user (you are a registered user, right?) and
	to order (and pay for) updates which you are interested in.
	While I am not a SAM-user myself, I imagine that your manual
	contains information where to inquire about getting postcards
	announcing updates....

	....but if you give me (a few of) your lab's registration
	numbers I will make a personal effort to look into the status
	and I will report back right here what I can find out.

> I would think (IMHO) that in addition to posting notices, which might
> be missed on the newsgroups, a more reliable alternative would be to
> place the info in various archives so that one might periodically
> check that they have kept their SAM's up to date.

	I fail to find anything "humble" IYHO and while I welcome as
	much as anyone that people create archives and make information
	available, I am under the impression that you may be the perfect
	example how little good that does ...(or have you scanned the
	VIRUS-L archives lately for how often and how fast the net has
	usually been informed about new SAM-updates?)

> Rich
> Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

					---Werner

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (04/08/91)

I Got off the phone with Symantec this morning.  They had us in their files,

but  don't know why we didn't get the update cards.  BTW I checked with

our PostMaster, and we don't seem to be getting Virus-L.  He is working to

clear this up.  Now all I have to do is talk my boss into upgrading to SAM 3.0

and this problem will be solved.

-Rich

Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

petechen@porthos.rutgers.edu (Peter Chen) (04/08/91)

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:

>Apparently, the author, Paul
>Cozza, is unreachable as he has people who post messages for him.
>Rich
>Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

>PS The last virus I got new codes for was about 6 months ago.  If anyone could
>pass along the list of codes I might have missed, I would appreciate.
>Rich

A couple days ago, I sent a message to Paul Cozza regarding exactly such
a listing.  And I got a reply from him within a day, so I wouldn't say
he is unreachable.

Pete Chen

Here is the list he sent me:
--------------
Here are a list of the definitions that have been posted:

***********

ZUC

     Virus Name:   ZUC
  Resource Type:   CODE
    Resource ID:   1
  Resource Size:   Any
  Search String:   4E56FF74A03641FA04D25290    (hexadecimal)
  String Offset:   Any

***********

Garfield (or MDEF), both strains A & B

   Virus Name:   Garfield
Resource Type:   MDEF
  Resource ID:   0
Resource Size:   Any
Search String:   A9A92F0CA9AA2F0CA9B0      (hexadecimal)
Search Offset:   Any

***********

Steroid Trojan horse

   Virus Name:  Steroid Trojan
Resource Type:  INIT
  Resource ID:  148
Resource Size:  1080
Search String:  ADE9 343C 000A 4EFA FFF2 4A78    (hexadecimal)
String Offset:  96

***********

CDEF

   Virus Name:   CDEF
Resource Type:   CDEF
  Resource ID:   1
Resource Size:   510
Search String:   45463F3C0001487A0046A9AB      (hexadecimal)
Search Offset:   420

***********

ANTI B

   Virus Name: ANTI
Resource Type: CODE
  Resource ID: 1
Resource Size: Any
Search String: 000A317CFFFF000CA033303C0997A146     (hexadecimal)
Search Offset: Any   (or, for later versions of SAM, -886 will also work)

***********

Garfield C (or MDEF C)

   Virus Name:  Garfield      (or MDEF)
Resource Type:  MDEF
  Resource ID:  0
Resource Size:  556
Search String:  4D4445464267487A005EA9AB       (hexadecimal)
Search Offset:  448

************

   Virus Name:   ZUC B     (or ZUC 2)

Resource Type:   CODE
  Resource ID:   1
Resource Size:   Any
Search String:   7002A2604E752014A0552240      (hexadecimal)
Search Offset:   Any

************

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (04/10/91)

In article <379.28005f7f@mbcl.rutgers.edu> friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>I Got off the phone with Symantec this morning.  They had us in their files,
>but  don't know why we didn't get the update cards.

	Assuming that they sent such a card... it might be an interesting test
	to drop a card into the mail, addressed to the address they used
	(to see IF that one reaches you - make sure to put a note on the card
	asking whoever gets the card to give you a call)

>BTW I checked with our PostMaster, and we don't seem to be getting Virus-L.

	rec.virus carries the VIRUS-L traffic (VIRUS-L is a BITnet list, which
	can be received as email also with the appropriate request (I think
	the request-address is LUKEN@LEHIIBM1.BITNET)

>Now all I have to do is talk my boss into upgrading to SAM 3.0 and
>this problem will be solved.

	I would still miss a public apology to Paul and Symantec for your
	"ranting" as well as a public "thank you" for the gracious offer of
	help you received from Paul by email ..
--

 (Internet)     werner@cs.utexas.edu
  (BITnet)      werner@UTXVM

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (04/10/91)

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>	rec.virus carries the VIRUS-L traffic (VIRUS-L is a BITnet list, which

This explains a lot.

Brian
Just kidding

idddev@well.sf.ca.us (Innovative Data Design) (04/11/91)

Several of us here are registered SAM 2.0 users. Some of us
receive the postcard updates of new viruses, some of us don't.
The most recent notice, which I received today, is about
virus that SAM 2.0 can't detect, but that SAM 3.0 can.

       Angus MacDonald;   idddev@well.sf.ca.us
Opinions expressed in this message are solely my own.

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (04/12/91)

SAM 2.0 can't detect the HC virus because it can't accept user
definitions for viruses which reside in the data fork of a file.
SAM 3.0 *does* allow such definitions, so that if you can't get
the most recent version of the Virus Definitions file, you can
still update the search capabilities.

 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu)           *  I hear, and I forget.
Rochester General Hospital/Radiology     *  I see, and I remember.

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (04/12/91)

I have gotten some pretty interesting responses/comments to my original posting
on some problems I have (had) with SAM 2.0.  Many were constructive. I would
also like to thank Paul Cozza for responding to me.  I guess one of the
problems has to do with the fact that while we receive over 1000 newsgroups, we
do not receive virus-l nor rec.virus. We were relying on the postings to the
infomac for our updates and many slipped by us.

I personally do not feel like periodically making a long distance phone call to
Ca. to read a BB where Symantec lists the updates.  Paul mentioned, virus-l is
archived at [KRVW@CERT.SEI.CMU.EDU@INTERNET#].  However, I guess if you don't
keep up with this archive, you will get swamped trying to read a lot of the
files at once.

I would like to make one suggestion to the people at Symantec as to how they
can make our updating easier, add numbers to the cards you mail out.  A friend
who shared his set was missing a few updates that other people had and passed
on to me. We were not certain if these were from cards which gotten lost in the
mail or if these represented older updates which hopefully were sent out before
he purchased SAM and were incorporated into his version.  With numbered cards
it would be a simple to ascertain if you had missed an update.

BTW, yes I know that with SAM 3.0 you won't need to rely on the cards, that you
can do the updating by downloading the info from the Symantec BBS, however,
once again you need to have a modem and make a long distance phone call.
Another problem would be, how will you know when a new listing will be there
that requires you to do a download?

   -Rich
friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu