[comp.sys.mac.apps] Genealogy Software

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) (04/09/91)

Can anyone recommend a full-featured Genealogy application?  I have
several PD programs, but none does more than a fragment of the whole job
(pedigrees, family trees, individual note cards, etc).  I also get
the impression that there is some sort of standard for genealogy
data entry, and would like to use it from the start of my project.

--
Joel M Miller                    Internet: jmm@skivs.ski.org
Smith-Kettlewell Institute       Usenet:   fernwood!skivs!jmm

M_Ray_Brooksby@cup.portal.com (04/10/91)

If you have not seen the LDS Church software for family history research,
I suggest you take a look.  I've been using it for some time and am pleased
beyond description.  It is a professionaly developed package, takes full
advantage of the Mac interface, and is part of a larger research program
which incorporates an IBM version, and HUGE databases of research available
on CDRom.

This program supports pedigree charts, family group sheets, individual
summary reports, and a wide assortment of report functions.  It also alows
custom configuration to not include fields that are unique to the LDS church.

List price is $35.00 - for a program easily worth five times that much.  If
you wish to find out more, the manual lists the following address:  The
Family History Department, Ancestral File Operations Unit - 2WW, 50 East
North Temple Street, Salt Lake City, UT  84150, (801) 240-2584.

The program is called Personal Ancestral File.  Most just call it PAF.

Ray
RayB@cup.portal.com

scott@spectra.com (Tim Scott) (04/11/91)

In article <3150@skivs.UUCP> jmm@ski.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a full-featured Genealogy application?  I have
>several PD programs, but none does more than a fragment of the whole job
>(pedigrees, family trees, individual note cards, etc).  I also get
>the impression that there is some sort of standard for genealogy
>data entry, and would like to use it from the start of my project.

Although I hesitated to order it since it was HyperCard based, I am
extremely impressed with Reunion from Leister Productions. Besides
having all the features I wanted, it was very easy to use, had
excellent reporting and charting features, and a complete, thorough and
attractive manual.

It's only $50 and I can pronounce myself a satisfied customer.  Leister
is on America OnLine for support.  You can buy it from MacUser Marketplace
and through the big mail order outfits.

Another poster highly recommended the LDS Church's Personal Ancestral File
(PAF), which I haven't tried. I have tried Family Heritage File (FHF)
which I'm afraid just isn't ready for the Mac; it's clearly a DOS
port and very clunky.  A flyer in the package mentioned a new version
more Mac-like; this was about 2 months ago.  But after trying Reunion,
it does everything I can ever imagine needing so I didn't give FHF
another chance.

On genealogy in general: depending on where you are, look for an LDS
Genealogy Research center in your city.  We have at least one in the
San Diego area, providing on-line access to the >60 CD-ROM LDS genealogy
data base.  Use is (currently) free on a sign-up basis.  I almost hesitate
to promulgate this as due to the flood of users this service may eventually
be charged for or restricted to LDS members.  But since I got the
information as a favor I am honor bound to pass it on.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with Leister Productions except as
a satisfied customer.  Your mileage may (OF COURSE) vary.
--
Tim P Scott   . . . sending from: Spectragraphics Corp.
9707 Waples St., San Diego CA 92121  [USA]+619-587-6834

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr11.002549.26415@spectra.com> scott@spectra.com (Tim Scott) writes:
>Although I hesitated to order it since it was HyperCard based, I am
>extremely impressed with Reunion from Leister Productions. Besides
>having all the features I wanted, it was very easy to use, had
>excellent reporting and charting features, and a complete, thorough and
>attractive manual.
>
>It's only $50 and I can pronounce myself a satisfied customer.  Leister
>is on America OnLine for support.  You can buy it from MacUser Marketplace
>and through the big mail order outfits.

Count me as a satisfied customer, too!

>Another poster highly recommended the LDS Church's Personal Ancestral File
>(PAF), which I haven't tried. I have tried Family Heritage File (FHF)
>which I'm afraid just isn't ready for the Mac; it's clearly a DOS
>port and very clunky.  A flyer in the package mentioned a new version
>more Mac-like; this was about 2 months ago.  But after trying Reunion,
>it does everything I can ever imagine needing so I didn't give FHF
>another chance.

FHF is truly bad and ugly!  I had it confused with PAF for a while.  All I can
say is that I'm sorry for the publishers of PAF.  It sure looks like FHF tries
to ride on PAF's reputation.

I bought a copy of PAF.  It's OK.  I can't say I really like it.  For what I
want, Reunion is much better.  Reunion seems to be a bit less "clinical" than
PAF.  I can see relationships easier with Reunion.  I also feel it is easier
to enter data in Reunion, too.

The biggest drawback of Reunion is its speed.  It is really slow on me SE, and
not a lot better on my IIcx.  PAF flies, and I really like that, but speed
isn't everything in my book.

>Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with Leister Productions except as
>a satisfied customer.  Your mileage may (OF COURSE) vary.

Same goes for me.
--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

RayB@cup.portal.com (M Ray Brooksby) (04/12/91)

An earlier writer says...

The biggest drawback of Reunion is its speed.  It is really slow on me SE, and
not a lot better on my IIcx.  PAF flies, and I really like that, but speed
isn't everything in my book.

...I was wondering how Reunion is with printed reports.  PAF does this very
well.  I've always stayed away from Hypercard when I knew reporting would be
important.

Ray
RayB@cup.portal.com
"I'm full of opinions...none of which belong to anyone."

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) (04/12/91)

Count me as another enthusiastic supporter of PAF. Excellent reporting
features, allows merging of databases, and a great price.  Much
more Mac-ish than I was expecting.  Easy for even my "computers-
scare-me" mother to use.

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@athena.mit.edu

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/12/91)

In article <41188@cup.portal.com> RayB@cup.portal.com (M Ray Brooksby) writes:
>...I was wondering how Reunion is with printed reports.  PAF does this very
>well.  I've always stayed away from Hypercard when I knew reporting would be
>important.

I like it better than PAF.

The charts are very nice when printed through SuperChart (which is included
in the Reunion package).