[comp.sys.mac.apps] Norton utilities for MAC

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) (04/07/91)

I bought a copy of the Norton utils for the Mac, thinking
they would be really nice - since the PC stuff is.  Of course it does
not work very well on the fx.

One of the nice features is that in every file open dialog box it
gives you "sort by name kind size etc." and "duplicate, new folder,
find file, etc." which is nice.  But it broke the double-click to
open on one of my applications.  Since it was only one, though, I
suspect the application.

The rescue disk won't boot on an fx, it doesn't install correctly,
and one of the dialog boxes has a button that does nothing at all.
 I called tech support and it is a toll call that kept me on hold
for quite some time before letting me record a message.

Patrick L. Harvey           | Home: romed!harvs!harv@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
VLSI Technology, Inc.       | Work: vlsisj!phx!harv@decwrl.dec.com
(602) 752-6151              |
Don't understand anything I read, but sure is fun getting all this mail.

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (04/08/91)

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) writes:

>The rescue disk won't boot on an fx.......

Make an fx-bootable disk and copy the rescue disk contents to it.

--
-
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (04/09/91)

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:

>harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) writes:

>>The rescue disk won't boot on an fx.......

Alternatively, you can boot from a "good, clean" booter and then run the
rescue disk.  The problem is that an 800K floppy just doesn't have the
room for 6.0.x ("x">=fx requirements) AND NUM.  So it doesn't 'quite' work
when you boot up.  Sorry 'bout that...

I guess Norton could have put in an HD booter for machines what don't
work with NUM.  Or Marvin (author of NUM) could sweat 40K out of NUM
so it'll all
fit on an 800K.  (Doubtless he'd love too--but he's been busy working on
new new features and bug swats.  Which hit everyone, y'know?)

The Directory Assistance problem (for that's the name of the CDEV that
gives you sorted filenames, searching, etc., inside the standard file
requester) is more serious.  Make sure you report it to Tech. Support so
it can be fixed.

Norton is pretty good at fixing things; they're just a bit more busy
than they should be.  Sometimes you must keep on them.

	Long-time beta-tester and user,
		Alex Pournelle
[...]

		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others
		...elroy!grian!alex; BIX: alex; voice: (818) 791-7979
		fax: (818) 794-2297    bbs: 791-1013; 8N1 24/12/3  BIX: alex

levin@star-trek.bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (04/12/91)

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

|klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
|
|>harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) writes:
|
|>>The rescue disk won't boot on an fx.......

I had a different problem with the emergency disk.  I couldn't make a
working copy.  Trying to copy the emergency disk onto another disk, I
got the alert saying that there wasn't enough room.  So I used the
disk copy utility from SUM (no number), copying every sector, and the
resulting disk always brought up the initialize alert.  (I tried this
twice, thinking I had a bad disk.)  The emergency disk itself seems to
be OK both when normally inserted and as a startup disk; but I'd
really like to use a copy.  Do I have a bad red disk, or is it
supposed to be uncopyable?

Boilerplate:  Mac SE with 4MB and 6.0.4 and assorted inits.

And on an unrelated note, kudos to Symantec for sending out SAM 3 with
no write tabs in the disks (NUM came with write-enabled disks).

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  | "How does a mouse let me move the cursor anywhere
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  I want?"  "What are address busses?"  "How do
pots: (617)873-3463  |  icons work?"              --Time-Life Books

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/13/91)

In article <5781@archive.BBN.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>I had a different problem with the emergency disk.  I couldn't make a
>working copy.  Trying to copy the emergency disk onto another disk, I
>got the alert saying that there wasn't enough room.

	I had the same problem.  Finally, I hunted around and found an
old utility I had called DiskDup+ (I have -no- idea where I got it).
Basically, it'll read an entire disk into RAM, then copy it onto
another.  Great for making multiple copies of a disk.  (Keep the
Master in RAM and just write, write, write).

	It was able to make a copy of the NUM emergency disk without
any problems.

	On yet another note, there was a posting recently about which
parts of Norton would -not- work on System 7.0.  I've tried to go back
in our spool but have not been able to find it (not even sure which
comp.sys.mac.* it was in).  If someone has saved it, could you please
either re-post it, or email a copy to me?  Many thanks...

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1      + "Pooh hasn't much Brain, but he never
 Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES  |  comes to any harm.  He does silly