[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word: Losing italics when changing styles

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (04/10/91)

I am having a problem with MS Word 4.0 that is driving me totally *nuts*.
I hope that somebody can help me - the manual doesn't.

I have a style, called 'Reference'. The *only* way in which it differs from
my 'Normal' style is in that it changes some ruler stuff (indentation and
right margin to be precise).

Now I do not write my references in Word itself: I import them, formatted
and all (i.e. with titles in italics etc.) from the program EndNote. This
works perfectly, except that usually the text gets pasted in 'Normal' style.

So I want to change styles to 'Reference', and this is where it all
goes wrong: for a number of the 'Normal' paragraphs, MS Word will
lose *all* font style information when changing the paragraph style
to 'Reference'.

What is making me go crazy is that I have not the faintest idea about
*what* the criterion is for this to happen.
95 % of the paragraphs reformat correctly. The other 5 % don't.
I have no clue as to why. Sometimes if you insert e.g. seven random
plain characters after the second '^n' in such a paragraph, then the
reformat will work.
In this it behaves consequently - insert 1 to 6 characters and
reformatting causes plain text, insert 7, and it always works OK.
But that doesn't work for all the paragraphs in the 5 %, and I really
am on the verge of a major nervous breakdown here.

Can anybody *please* explain what is happening to me? I don't even
want to know a solution, I just want to know why it is happening!

Thanks...

--
Leo Breebaart  (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (04/11/91)

In article <leo.671276498@galaxy> leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl writes:
>I am having a problem with MS Word 4.0 that is driving me totally *nuts*.
>I hope that somebody can help me - the manual doesn't.
>
>I have a style, called 'Reference'. The *only* way in which it differs from
>my 'Normal' style is in that it changes some ruler stuff (indentation and
>right margin to be precise).
>
>Now I do not write my references in Word itself: I import them, formatted
>and all (i.e. with titles in italics etc.) from the program EndNote. This
>works perfectly, except that usually the text gets pasted in 'Normal' style.
>
>So I want to change styles to 'Reference', and this is where it all
>goes wrong: for a number of the 'Normal' paragraphs, MS Word will
>lose *all* font style information when changing the paragraph style
>to 'Reference'.
>
>What is making me go crazy is that I have not the faintest idea about
>*what* the criterion is for this to happen.
>95 % of the paragraphs reformat correctly. The other 5 % don't.
>I have no clue as to why. Sometimes if you insert e.g. seven random
>plain characters after the second '^n' in such a paragraph, then the
>reformat will work.
>In this it behaves consequently - insert 1 to 6 characters and
>reformatting causes plain text, insert 7, and it always works OK.
>But that doesn't work for all the paragraphs in the 5 %, and I really
>am on the verge of a major nervous breakdown here.
>
>Can anybody *please* explain what is happening to me? I don't even
>want to know a solution, I just want to know why it is happening!

Well, I don't know why, but I do have a solution that works. I find
this phenomenon happening in footnotes that I am reformatting. My
routine is to use the find feature to find the paragraph markers
(i.e., ^p in the find dialog box). When the paragraph marker is
selected I can apply the new format and italic stays italic. I wish I
could select all the footnotes and globally apply a new format. But
this does seem to work, and if you have an expanded keyboard, you can
use it to select the next paragraph marker by pressing the the = key
on the numeric keypad. I then get a routine set up to hit the "=" key
on the numeric keypad, and then hit command-a (repeat the last command
which is to apply the new format), hit the "=" key, etc.  It works, I
don't know why, but it works.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) (04/16/91)

In article <leo.671276498@galaxy> leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart)
writes:
> So I want to change styles to 'Reference', and this is where it all
> goes wrong: for a number of the 'Normal' paragraphs, MS Word will
> lose *all* font style information when changing the paragraph style
> to 'Reference'.

Another MS Word counterintuitive oddity... I've found that if I simply
place the insertion point in a paragraph (single click, no text actually
selected) and change the style, the entire paragraph changes to the
plain-for-style character format for the new style; all character
formatting is discarded. HOWEVER, if  I select one word, or even a single
character, and apply the style, character formatting is retained.

Hope this helps!

Mike