[comp.sys.mac.apps] Wanted: School reporting system.

knibb_k@darwin.ntu.edu.au (04/09/91)

I received the following request from a teacher at a local high
school.  Could anyone help?
Thanks in advance,   Ken Knibb (Darwin Australia)

WANTED: REPORTING SYSTEMS FOR SCHOOLS

The staff of a Senior Secondary College of some 1400 students want
a system containing report comments. Ideally they should be able
to combine comments concerning work performance and behaviour.

Currently we have two options:

1) Operate a highly centralised system.

2) Have a decentralised system using Macs.

Option (2) is already happening to some extent with some staff
using Word 4. The problem with this is that all they are really
doing is typing and saving their comments for later use.

Appreciate any suggestions/knowledge concerning what is done in
other similar institutions.

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/09/91)

knibb_k@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:

>I received the following request from a teacher at a local high
>school.  Could anyone help?
>Thanks in advance,   Ken Knibb (Darwin Australia)

>WANTED: REPORTING SYSTEMS FOR SCHOOLS

>The staff of a Senior Secondary College of some 1400 students want
>a system containing report comments. Ideally they should be able
>to combine comments concerning work performance and behaviour.

>Currently we have two options:

>1) Operate a highly centralised system.

>2) Have a decentralised system using Macs.

>Option (2) is already happening to some extent with some staff
>using Word 4. The problem with this is that all they are really
>doing is typing and saving their comments for later use.

>Appreciate any suggestions/knowledge concerning what is done in
>other similar institutions

Back in high school (yes i am a freshman in College) my school was running
on macs, and they were running a package called MacSchool. As I understand it
(I was very close to a couple of the vice-p's) It does everything from printing
grades, to library usage, to a heck of alot of other things.  It is expesive,
approx. $5,000.00 for the package.  If you are interested I may be able to give you a name and number for someone you could talk to about it.
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
| "Oh God, I'm so depressed" - Marvin +--------------------------------+
| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
+-------------------------------------+ .

auvdeso@auvsun1.tamu.edu (John DeSoi) (04/16/91)

   From: knibb_k@darwin.ntu.edu.au
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
   Date: 9 Apr 91 01:09:36 GMT

   I received the following request from a teacher at a local high
   school.  Could anyone help?
   Thanks in advance,   Ken Knibb (Darwin Australia)

   WANTED: REPORTING SYSTEMS FOR SCHOOLS

   The staff of a Senior Secondary College of some 1400 students want
   a system containing report comments. Ideally they should be able
   to combine comments concerning work performance and behaviour.

   Currently we have two options:

   1) Operate a highly centralised system.

   2) Have a decentralised system using Macs.

   Option (2) is already happening to some extent with some staff
   using Word 4. The problem with this is that all they are really
   doing is typing and saving their comments for later use.

   Appreciate any suggestions/knowledge concerning what is done in
   other similar institutions.

Learning Technology Systems specializes in instructional management
systems.  They have a very comprehensive DOS based system.  They are
planning to have modular DOS and Mac systems available in the near
future.  Contact:

Learning Technology Systems, Inc.
1716 Briarcrest Drive, Suite 507
Bryan, TX  77802
409-846-0736
FAX: 409-846-9172

John
--

Department of Computer Science |     	      | (409) 845-9979, 845-4306