[comp.sys.mac.apps] Which backup software to use?

smith@titan.Kodak.COM (Timothy R. Smith) (04/15/91)

I am looking for a good backup program to use and don't
know which one to get.  I've been considering "Diskfit",
or "Retrospect".  Any recommendations?

Any good or bad experiences with either of these two
programs?  With any others?

Thanks in advance.

--
Timothy R. Smith         | UUCP: ...!uunet!atexnet!kodak!titan!smith
ISPD                     | Internet:  smith@titan.kodak.COM

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (04/17/91)

In article <1854@eastman.UUCP> smith@titan.Kodak.COM (Timothy R. Smith) writes:
>I am looking for a good backup program to use and don't
>know which one to get.  I've been considering "Diskfit",
>or "Retrospect".  Any recommendations?

Tim,

It depends on where you are backing up to. If to floppy disks Diskfit
is more convienent. If your are going to tape then Retrospect would be
a better choice. The programs were developed by the same company named Dantz.

I uses both. I use Diskfit at home and Retrospect at work.

Diskfit creates a mirror image of your hard disk onto floppies. As files
change, diskfit removes the old version on the floppies and replaces it with
the new file. This feature keeps the disk set from growing and growing.

Retrospect is a "True" (whatever that means) archiving program. Though it
can be configured to do image backups.

There is also retrospect remote.

I recommend either one highly at our company.

Matt

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com