[comp.sys.mac.apps] FrameMaker 2.1 Font Families

pekkala@convex.com (Rick Pekkala) (04/16/91)

I've been using FrameMaker 2.1 on a MAC LC and I can't
get Frame to include any more font families, other than
the families it comes with.  I've moved the fonts into
Frame's font suitcase, the system suitcase, re-booted,
and still no new Fonts.

Has anybody been able to do this or is 2.1 hardwired to
use just the fonts Frame comes with?

--
Rick Pekkala, pekkala@convex.com, {sun,texsun,uunet}!convex!pekkala 214-497-4131
CONVEX Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX 75083

jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.134735.17181@convex.com> pekkala@convex.com (Rick Pekkala) writes:
>I've been using FrameMaker 2.1 on a MAC LC and I can't
>get Frame to include any more font families, other than
>the families it comes with.  I've moved the fonts into
>Frame's font suitcase, the system suitcase, re-booted,
>and still no new Fonts.
>
>Has anybody been able to do this or is 2.1 hardwired to
>use just the fonts Frame comes with?

Although we are not using Frame on the Mac at this time, we are using it
on Sparcs in the X windows version and I have had extensive experience
with it on Sunview (the native environment for the Sparc)... I noticed
that on the X windows version, we also could only use the fonts that
were shipped with Frame (this was always true on Sunview)... After
doing some research, it became clear that Framemaker does all of its
own font sizing/management.. I presume this is because it handles
tenths of a point sizing and special kerning capabilities... Since
it does this type of stuff, it can put out very accurate Postscript
code for printing... I assume they have tuned Framemaker to support
the font descriptions that they ship and are incapable of using
any others (such as downloaded Type 1 fonts, Bitstream fonts, etc).

I would be willing to guess that they did NOT rewrite their font
management and display code for the Mac, but rather merely ported
their existing code to the Mac's windowing system... Thus, everything
that happens INSIDE a text window or frame is probably handled without
reference to standard system resources such as installed fonts...

This is, of course, OMHO...

Good luck,

Jon Rosen