[comp.sys.mac.apps] any review of password apps?

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (04/11/91)

Has anyone done a review of the various applications, screen
savers and so forth that will prevent access to a Mac?  I am
particularly interested in the point of view of administrators,
i.e. what is the least annoying/dangerous one to use. Users here
are asking for something that will prevent others from seeing
confidential files and/or from using the machine.  My answer
usually is "keep confidential stuff on floppy disks" but they're
demanding more; my concern is not to use something that will be
a fantastic headache when passwords are forgotten or when disks
have problems. What suggestions can you give?
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (04/17/91)

In article <dana.671307230@are.Berkeley.EDU> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
[asking for password apps....]
>usually is "keep confidential stuff on floppy disks" but they're
>demanding more; my concern is not to use something that will be
>a fantastic headache when passwords are forgotten or when disks
>have problems. What suggestions can you give?
Sorry for the semi-flame, but
What the heck is the point of this stupidity???? If  "they" want
to protect their stuff w/ a password, "they" ought at least to be
mature enuff to either remember a simple password or shut up and
quit whining if they are incapable of remembering it.
The whole point of a password is to protect a file.  If you can get
around it easily, it's useless.  You might as well start each file
out with a page that goes:
"Please dont' read this
^L
"
flame off.
Lock up your confidential stuff.  Write your password down at home.

--
Alix' and Luke's Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl OR  {wjh12,mit-vax}!bbn!aoa!carl