[comp.sys.mac.apps] downloading hqx files with multiple parts -- HELP

brugge@fss.UUCP (John Brugge) (04/01/91)

In article <13965@darkstar.ucsc.edu> jillcoy@ucscb.UCSC.EDU writes:

>I okay when I ftp an hqx file, and then download it, and use Stuffit 2.x
>to decode it... AS LONG as it is only *one* file.  But as soon as there
>are multiple parts... I can't do anything.  Stuffit won't join them, and
>it won't decode them because it says it can't verify the 'data' and
>'resource' forks.
>
>Is there some preliminary job I have to do?  Or some program I need?

Since Stuffit requires a single .hqx file, you need to either combine the
seperate files manually in an editor (removing headers & trailers)...

OR use the nifty little utility "United", which will do the combining for you.
United is also particularly helpful for rebuilding files posted to c.b.m. in
multiple parts, and best of all, it's free.  You can probably find it on sumex
or other such Mac ftp sites.

John

jdk@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Jim Kinnison) (04/13/91)

As regards to segmented .hqx files, try BinHqx 1.02.  THis nifty little DA
includes a menu selection called "join and decode".  Selecting it brings
up a dialog which askes for of the segmented files in order.  No strippping
or manual editing is needed.  Try sumex-aim.stanford.edu for a copy.

--
Jim Kinnison
jdk@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

Oh, yeah.  Disclaimer stuff

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (04/17/91)

In article <401@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU> jdk@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Jim Kinnison) writes:
>As regards to segmented .hqx files, try BinHqx 1.02.  THis nifty little DA
>includes a menu selection called "join and decode".  Selecting it brings
>up a dialog which askes for of the segmented files in order.  No strippping
>or manual editing is needed.  Try sumex-aim.stanford.edu for a copy.

    Agreed.  United fairly often fails to create a valid .sit file
for me, but BinHqx 1.02 works every time.
--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.181753.16055@uncecs.edu> dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) writes:
>In article <401@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU> jdk@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Jim Kinnison) writes:
>>As regards to segmented .hqx files, try BinHqx 1.02.  THis nifty little DA
>>includes a menu selection called "join and decode".  Selecting it brings
>>up a dialog which askes for of the segmented files in order.  No strippping
>>or manual editing is needed.  Try sumex-aim.stanford.edu for a copy.
>>
>    Agreed.  United fairly often fails to create a valid .sit file
>for me, but BinHqx 1.02 works every time.

That may well be true, but United 2.2 doesn't crash on my IIcx with 6.0.4.
Although BinHqx 1.02 seems to create a good .sit file, it ALWAYS crashes on
exit.  Perhaps it requires 6.0.5 or better.  In any case, there are people
for whom United does a better job.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.      internet: dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar