[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word 4.0 'Replace' command.

spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (04/18/91)

Ran across something interesting last night while using Microsoft Word 4.0a,
and thought I'd share it, and perhaps gain a little insight into the situation.

I had to replace all occurrences of the string "Todd's" to "Mark's" in a
document.  (not the double quotes, just the person's name, the apostrophe,
and the 's' character)

First try:  Put "Todd's" in the 'Find' box, and "Mark's" in the 'Replace' box.
Didn't find any of the occurrences of "Todd's" in the document. None of them.

Second try:  (after reading the reference manual)  Put "Todd?s" in the 'Find'
box, and "Mark's" in the 'Replace' box.  Worked fine, though took longer than
the searching did in the first try.

Now I understand why the second try worked:  the '?' is a wildcard, and of
course it's going to take longer to search using that particular string.
But why didn't the first try work?  Anyone have a clue?

----
Stephen N. Spencer  ACCAD - The Ohio State University
1224 Kinnear Road   Columbus, OH  43212-1154
spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (04/18/91)

spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:

>I had to replace all occurrences of the string "Todd's" to "Mark's" in a
>document.  Didn't find any of the occurrences of "Todd's" in the document.

Sounds like you've probably got "smart quotes" turned on. When
you type the apostrophe in the document it's curled instead of
straight up and down. When you type the apostrophe in the change
dialog box curly quotes doesn't work and it goes searching for
the text string with a straight quote instead of a curly one.
Try typing shift-option-] in the dialog box, that will give the
curly apostrophe in the change box and then it should find what
you want.

You note that you have Word 4.0a so you're probably not having
the other possible problem that was fixed (I'm pretty sure) in
version A and afterward.  There was a bug (or whatever it is
that Bill Gates wants to call it) that caused searches to fail
sometimes. The workaround was to click either the Whole Word or
Match Upper/Lower Case (can't remember which one) checkbox on
and off before starting the search.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

fwb@pollux.tmc.edu (Fred Brehm) (04/19/91)

In article <1566@gertie.osc.edu> spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:
>I had to replace all occurrences of the string "Todd's" to "Mark's" in a
>document.  (not the double quotes, just the person's name, the apostrophe,
>and the 's' character)
>
>First try:  Put "Todd's" in the 'Find' box, and "Mark's" in the 'Replace' box.
>Didn't find any of the occurrences of "Todd's" in the document. None of them.
>But why didn't the first try work?  Anyone have a clue?

Do you have "Smart Quotes" turned on? If so, the apostrophe in the text can
be a different character from the one in the Find dialog. Word isn't the
only program to outsmart itself with this feature.

Fred
--
Frederic W. Brehm	Siemens Corporate Research	Princeton, NJ
fwb@demon.siemens.com	-or-	...!princeton!siemens!demon!fwb