[comp.sys.mac.apps] Hypercard2

markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen) (04/16/91)

Is there anywhere to get Hypercard 2.0 for free?  I mean just a bare
bones version; enough to let me read the hypercard stack called
Internet Tour.  Doesn' apple still include it with system software?

Mark Rosen

xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/16/91)

Find some one who has gotten system 6.0.7 with their machine when they got
it new.  It will have Hypercard 2.0.

Steve Fuller

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.025212.5232@news.iastate.edu>, xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
|> Find some one who has gotten system 6.0.7 with their machine when they got
|> it new.  It will have Hypercard 2.0.

But if you make a copy of their copy, you are a software pirate.  If you can
convince them to give you their unopened HyperCard box, then that's a different
matter.  You can get _any_ program for free (or anything else for that matter)
if you're willing to steal it!

	--Mark

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (04/17/91)

In article <72305@brunix.UUCP>, man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes...
>In article <1991Apr16.025212.5232@news.iastate.edu>, xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>|> Find some one who has gotten system 6.0.7 with their machine when they got
>|> it new.  It will have Hypercard 2.0.
>
>But if you make a copy of their copy, you are a software pirate.

Hey now!  This may be true in a legal sense, but the implication is misleading.
Licensed user's groups (like BMUG) can distribute HyperCard 2.0 -- the full
five disk release -- for free.  They charge a nominal fee (about $15) to cover
diskette and shipping if you want to do it by mail.

Having said that, let me emphasize that HYPERCARD 2.0 is WELL WORTH paying for.
The Script Language Guide is worth the whole $49 cost.  Compare this with
the $200 ++ price of competing applications like SuperCard and ToolBook,
and well, there is NO comparison.  SuperCard and Toolbook developers are
paying big $$$ to develop applications for relatively small installed user
bases.  Those guys think that "HyperMedia" is worth investing in,
why don't we stop bitching and start scripting ...

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/17/91)

I was iunder the impression that Hypercard iss still system software since
it is still be ing ing shipped with the Macs., and therefore, you can copy it
if you need to...

STteve

markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen) (04/17/91)

I just want to open a stack or two that supposedly
help explain the internet.  I'm not much of a scripter.
Mark   mrosen@ruccas.rutgers.edu   Could someone please try
sending me mail at the above address?  I think the system I'm on
is not giving me my mail that is sent from outside the Rutgers
local net.  I can't be sure, but if someone would send me a letter
there, I can be sure.  Thanks.

wsinkees@wsinti01.info.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (04/17/91)

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:

>In article <1991Apr16.025212.5232@news.iastate.edu>, xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>|> Find some one who has gotten system 6.0.7 with their machine when they got
>|> it new.  It will have Hypercard 2.0.

>But if you make a copy of their copy, you are a software pirate.  If you can
>convince them to give you their unopened HyperCard box, then that's a different
>matter.  You can get _any_ program for free (or anything else for that matter)
>if you're willing to steal it!

Please add a smile here, or realise that this way of thinking should not be
encouraged.  Effectively, Hypercard is free for every legal Mac user. This
is not a judicial statement, but it is the fact (and the intention of Apple,
I think).  The only effect of "warnings" like this is that they encourage
pirating in the end.  Just like all the ridiculous safety warnings you see
on (mostly Amrican) products to free the manufacturer of possible lawsuits.
The effect is that you don't take them serious anymore, including the
warnings that *are* important..

Now, warnings that you commit software piracy when you take a copy of
Hypercard have a similar effect.  Use your common sense!  What is the idea
behind Hypercard? Exactly the fact that Apple split the distribution in two: a
stripped (but fully functional) version with something that only very
vaguely remembers to a manual for nothing and a box with three fat manuals,
stacks, etc., etc. for $45, gives a broad hint that Apple (or Claris
likes Hypercard itself to be spread, but wants to let developers etc. pay for
the extra things they need.  Please Americans, don't let yourself get mad
with your mad law system!

--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
e-mail: wsinkees@win.tue.nl      Phone: +31-40-474120       Fax: +31-40-436685

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (04/18/91)

In article <72305@brunix.UUCP>, man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
> In article <1991Apr16.025212.5232@news.iastate.edu>, xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
> |> Find some one who has gotten system 6.0.7 with their machine when they got
> |> it new.  It will have Hypercard 2.0.
>
> But if you make a copy of their copy, you are a software pirate.  If you can
> convince them to give you their unopened HyperCard box, then that's a different
> matter.  You can get _any_ program for free (or anything else for that matter)
> if you're willing to steal it!
>
> 	--Mark

From my understanding, you can take you original Hypercard disks
(version 1.X) to your local apple dealer and he (she) will upgrade
them for free!  The only reason you have to purchase the upgrade would
be to get the new documentation.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (04/19/91)

In article <1898@svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, wsinkees@wsinti01.info.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) writes:
|> man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:

|> >But if you make a copy of their copy, you are a software pirate...
|>
|> Please add a smile here, or realise that this way of thinking should not be
|> encouraged.  Effectively, Hypercard is free for every legal Mac user. This
|> is not a judicial statement, but it is the fact (and the intention of Apple,
|> I think)...
|>
|> Now, warnings that you commit software piracy when you take a copy of
|> Hypercard have a similar effect.  Use your common sense!  What is the idea
|> behind Hypercard? Exactly the fact that Apple split the distribution in two: ...
|> gives a broad hint that Apple (or Claris likes Hypercard itself to be spread,
|> but wants to let developers etc. pay for

Perhaps I should have been a little more explicit in my remarks.  There are those
people who never bought or received HyperCard in any legal manner: specifically, those
who bought their Macs before HyperCard existed.  Apple has _never_ claimed that it
was in any way legal or encouraged for these people to rip off a copy of HyperCard
by just copying it onto a disk.  They have always offered to _sell_ HyperCard to
people in that camp.  Every Apple dealer I've dealt with wants to see your
original HyperCard disk(s) before giving any upgrade, even if they do it for free.
If you already have a legal copy of HyperCard and you want to copy the latest version
from your friend instead of taking a trip all the way to your Apple dealer, then I
guess I have no problem with that, but that wasn't the case I had in mind when I
wrote my previous comments.

	--Mark