[comp.sys.mac.apps] Atari and MAC

francois@LOIRE.EDRC.CMU.EDU (Francois Bonnafy) (04/19/91)

Subject: Atari & MAC, SPECTRE...
I offen heard from these emulators for the Atari, allowing it to run Mac
software . Advertising says that it is wunderful, efficient, fast, sure...

But say, who believe advertising?

So my questions:

- Do ALL the software for Mackies function on the emulator?

- how fast is it in comparison to a Mac LC or IIsi?

- How offen do the programs cras down?

_ What kind of hardware can you use with it (Portrait Screens CD, ...)

I will compile the answer and make a posting of it

Thank you in advance

Francois

swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.211626.5026@cs.cmu.edu> francois@LOIRE.EDRC.CMU.EDU (Francois Bonnafy) writes:
>Subject: Atari & MAC, SPECTRE...

[...]

>- Do ALL the software for Mackies function on the emulator?

An old roommate of mine "sold out", selling his 512KE to his mom and getting
a 520ST and one of the Mac emulators. I don't recall which one, but a lot of
his games would no longer work, esp. ones that used sound. I guess games are
notorious for having been programmed to break some of Apple's rules. As far
as more serious software goes, we both had a C programming class at the time,
but development with a Mac compiler on an Atari is a nightmare cuz the Atari
ain't got a Mac-equivalent interrupt button or the ability to use Macsbug.

>- how fast is it in comparison to a Mac LC or IIsi?

As far as I know, the Ataris all have 8 MHz 68000's, so naturally they couldn't
compete with a 16 MHz 68020 or a 20 MHz 68030, in the LC and IIsi, resp.
Since my Plus runs at around 7.8 MHz, his machine in emulation-mode actually
ran a tad faster. An of course his B/W monitor was a bit larger, too.

[...]

>Thank you in advance
>
>Francois

One other thing -- beware the Frankie virus that supposedly attacks Ataris
with illegal copies of one the Mac emulators.

	Den

   /Dennis M. Swanson --> swansond@csus.edu         /   "He was as calm as a/
  /Macintosh Lab Assistant/Computer Science Student/   Perry Como groupie."/
 /University Computing and Communications Services/       -- Sledge Hammer/
/California State University, Sacramento         /"Harness the Macpower!"/

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr19.230318.10891@csus.edu> swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) writes:

>One other thing -- beware the Frankie virus that supposedly attacks Ataris
>with illegal copies of one the Mac emulators.

The current version of disinfectant will handle the Frankie virus.