[comp.sys.mac.apps] Excel Format to do Nothing?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/23/91)

I would like to format a cell so that
no matter what data/text that I put into
it, it will stay exactly as entered.

I first ran into this problem with dates.
Excel insists on treating my text as a date
not as a string.  I found (with help) out how
to format the cell so that the date stays
as entered.

But....I would love to be able to just enter
text and not worry that excel will change the
format because it happens to look like a date
or a price or something.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

>I would like to format a cell so that
>no matter what data/text that I put into
>it, it will stay exactly as entered.

Well, I have gotten at least one solution,
place the following into a cell;

="string"

A bit cumbersome but it works.  Any other solutions?