[comp.sys.mac.apps] Date Strings in Excel?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/18/91)

I would like to be able to enter a date
string of April 24, 1991 into an Excel
cell.  Unfortunately, Excel keeps converting
it to another format.

It either converts it to a number of days
since 1904 (general) or to another date format like
dd-mm-yy.

The closest that I have come to what I want
is either;

1) Put the date in quotes, but the quotes
show.

2) Format the date mmmm dd, yyyy.  This
works for months with four letters but
truncates November to Nove, etc.  Is there
a more generic form of this?

Any ideas?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/23/91)

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

>I would like to be able to enter a date
>string of April 24, 1991 into an Excel
>cell.  Unfortunately, Excel keeps converting
>it to another format.

Well, the adage RTFM comes to mind.  Several
people told me that formatting dates is no
quite intuitive, so after reading the manual
I came up with this simple chart of formatting
possibilities.

If the input string is December 1, 1991 then;

Format             Results
======             =======
m d, yyyy          12 1, 1991
mm d, yyyy         12 1, 1991
mmm d, yyyy        Dec 1, 1991
mmm dd, yyyy       Dec 01, 1991
mmmm d, yyyy       December 1, 1991
mmmm dd, yyyy      December 01, 1991
mmmm ddd, yyyy     December Sun, 1991
mmmm dddd, yyyy    December Sunday, 1991
mmmmm d, yyyy      December12 1, 1991

The ultimate format might be;

dddd, mmmm d, yyyy    Sunday, December 1, 1991

It seems a bit odd that the month "May"
formated with four m's, mmmm, would still
produce "May", not "May " but this is
Microsoft.

This leads to my real question, how do you
format a cell so that *ANY* information
entered into a cell is not altered in any
way?
--

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (04/23/91)

In article <6240@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>
>>I would like to be able to enter a date
>>string of April 24, 1991 into an Excel
>>cell.  Unfortunately, Excel keeps converting
>>it to another format.
>
>This leads to my real question, how do you
>format a cell so that *ANY* information
>entered into a cell is not altered in any
>way?
>--
Yes, John.

I think your original posting was close:
   ="April 24, 1991"
   ^

The equals sign is crucial.  It says "what follows is a formula that
needs to be evaluated".  Your "formula" is the string between the
quotes.  This will give you the string you want without it being
recognized (turned into) a date!

Have fun!
Jann E VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com