[comp.sys.mac.apps] Fractional spacing with Word4

hess@rosun1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) (04/22/91)

I would like to use MS Word4.0 with the ATM to print out my documents
at home without a super laser write or something like this. Now the problem
is: the letters look good, but their spacing is just awfull. WriteNow or Ragtime
have the option of "use printer spacing", which resolves this problem by
better kerning routines (actually it`s just a system variable, that is set to
1). I didn`t find such an option in Word4, does anybody know, what I`m talking
about and could help me?

Hauke Hess / Iniversity Hamburg / Germany

lenh@techpub3.isc-br.com (Len Humbird) (04/24/91)

In article <hess.672329598@rosun1> hess@rosun1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) writes:
> I didn`t find such an option in Word4, does anybody know, what I`m talking
>about and could help me?
>
>Hauke Hess / Iniversity Hamburg / Germany

The Fractional Widths option is available in the Printer Setup dialog box,
from the File menu.

lenh@isc-br.com
--
Len Humbird          | internet:  lenh@isc-br.com       | Phone: 509 927-5600
Technical writer     | uunet:     uucp!isc-br!lenh      | All opinions expressed

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (04/24/91)

In article <hess.672329598@rosun1> hess@rosun1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) writes:
>I would like to use MS Word4.0 with the ATM to print out my documents
>at home without a super laser write or something like this. Now the problem
>is: the letters look good, but their spacing is just awfull. WriteNow or Ragtime
>have the option of "use printer spacing", which resolves this problem by
>better kerning routines (actually it`s just a system variable, that is set to
>1). I didn`t find such an option in Word4, does anybody know, what I`m talking
>about and could help me?

There are two things you'll need.  First of all, if your MSWD is before 4.0d,
you'll need to get a shareware INIT called ATM Fractions.  Secondly, whichever
version of MSWD you use (4.0x), there is a checkbox in the Page Setup (I think
it's in the lower-left corner of that window) called Fractional Widths.  That
should solve your problem.  Makes it look really good, too.