[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacOberon

gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) (04/10/91)

Greetings,

I can't seem to get MacOberon to work.  I ftp'd it
from apple.com, unstuffed, etc, then launched it.
I get a system error.  I tried downloading it 3 times,
running it on 3 IIcx's.  No luck.

Any suggestions?  I'm really interested in getting
it to work.

Thanks.
Nate.
gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
--
"Pessimism is not the same as Realism, and
  Optimism is not the same as Ignorance."

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/13/91)

What I want to know is, who's the joker/idiot/incompetent/egotist/etc. who
decided that it absolutely *had* to use a 68020 or better (and, from another
message I just read, a large screen)?  Maybe you've heard of the Mac Classic?
Or a strange machine with a large installed base called the Mac SE?

Growl.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr13.010442.19031@NCoast.ORG>, allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) writes:
> What I want to know is, who's the joker/idiot/incompetent/egotist/etc. who
> decided that it absolutely *had* to use a 68020 or better (and, from another
> message I just read, a large screen)?

Most likely the same person who decided to give this to you free of
charge! Please, do make your own which has all of these terrible design
decisions corrected. We all await the result.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/16/91)

As quoted from <01CE0001.cmkaah7@tbomb.ice.com> by time@ice.com (Tim Endres):
+---------------
| Most likely the same person who decided to give this to you free of
| charge! Please, do make your own which has all of these terrible design
| decisions corrected. We all await the result.
+---------------

Give me a C compiler and a few months' worth of free time and I may well do
that.  Oh, and source code to work from, assuming it's not in the package to
begin with (as it is, being marked 68020&up it's marked for archival on a tape
offsite, since I don't have the time to worry about stuff that *might* be made
to work on my machine if I'm lucky).

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)
America OnLine: KB8JRR // Delphi: ALLBERY   AMPR: kb8jrr.AmPR.ORG [44.70.4.88]
uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery          KB8JRR @ WA8BXN.OH

bengaard@diku.dk (Jens Martin Bengaard) (04/24/91)

BTW, MacOberon also uses the FPU, so LC users can not use it without the
PseudoFPU init (available on sumex).

holey@cs.umn.edu (J. Andrew Holey) (04/24/91)

For what it's worth:  MacOberon does not recognize the Dove Marathon 030
card in my Mac II and refuses to load on the grounds that I have a 68000!
I guess that's my problem.

--Andy Holey
--U. of Minnesota