[comp.sys.mac.apps] page number in Word

aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/16/91)

How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number starting on
the second page of the documnet?

- Tim
dhlx@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

krweiss@ucdavis.edu (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.200248.4056@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number starting on
>the second page of the documnet?
>
>- Tim
>dhlx@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

Try using First Page Special...

Ken

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.200248.4056@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number starting on
> the second page of the documnet?

By reading the manual.
Brad Hedstrom                Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Victoria                   Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA                     (a.k.a. Brazil North)
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-visions,ubc-cs}!sirius.UVic.CA!hedstrom
"A no smoking section in a restaurant is as effective
 as a no chlorine section in a swimming pool."

valsta@cc.helsinki.fi (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr15.200248.4056@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number starting on
> the second page of the documnet?
>
> - Tim
> dhlx@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

Page 213 of Reference to MS Word:

.
.
Choose Section... in the Format Menu
Turn on the First Page Special option under Header/Footer.
.
.
This causes you to have two types of head/footers: one for the first page
(Where you can choose not to have a page number) an another one for the rest of
the pages.

Lauri Valsta
valsta@cc.Helsinki.Fi

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (04/19/91)

U> From: aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu Organization: CIT, Cornell University
U> Date: 16 Apr 91 00:02:48 GMT
U> How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number
U> starting on the second page of the documnet?

See pg. 213 of Reference to Microsoft Word

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr15.200248.4056@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number starting on
>the second page of the documnet?

Several people have responded with "First Page Special," which works
if the goal is to have the second page have a page number of 2.

If, however, you want the second page to have a page number of 1,
you will want to make the first page its own Section, and make your
page 2 the first page of Section 2.  In the Section command
for Section 2, turn on Restart at 1 in the Page Number options area.

--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (04/23/91)

In article <672033604.0@mmug.mn.org> Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) writes:
> U> From: aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu Organization: CIT, Cornell University
> U> Date: 16 Apr 91 00:02:48 GMT
> U> How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number
> U> starting on the second page of the documnet?

> See pg. 213 of Reference to Microsoft Word

It's also in the on-line help. Maybe some people didn't even bother
pirating the help files?

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/23/91)

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) writes:

>U> From: aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu Organization: CIT, Cornell University
>U> Date: 16 Apr 91 00:02:48 GMT
>U> How do you page number in a Word document so that the page number
>U> starting on the second page of the documnet?

>See pg. 213 of Reference to Microsoft Word

   I like this kind of response.  It is more informative than *RTFM*
<flame> <flame> but it does not give any help to those who have pirate
copies of the software.  Of course this is exactly the kind of thing
that the MS Word help file states.  If the user can't find the "Help"
item in the menus, they may be beyond help...

   Just my thoughts...

--Patrick Hoepfner
--hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (04/24/91)

In article <44984@cos.com> howard@cos.UUCP (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>Several people have responded with "First Page Special," which works
>if the goal is to have the second page have a page number of 2.
>If, however, you want the second page to have a page number of 1,
>you will want to make the first page its own Section, and make your
>page 2 the first page of Section 2.  In the Section command
>for Section 2, turn on Restart at 1 in the Page Number options area.
I think not.  Unless something changed when I wasn't looking :=),
you can also specify the numeric value you wish to start counting
from.  So start counting at zero, and you'll get what you
want.
chomp the line counter

Alix' and Luke's Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl OR  {wjh12,mit-vax}!bbn!aoa!carl
54 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge,MA 02140 617-864-0201
##I know it's true: I saw it on TV##

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (04/25/91)

:
:I think not.  Unless something changed when I wasn't looking :=),
:you can also specify the numeric value you wish to start counting
:from.  So start counting at zero, and you'll get what you
:want.

nope, 0 indicates that page numbering should be continuous from the
previous document, when using "next file".  If you try to start at
zero for a 'single' file Microsoft figures you are being stupid
and begins numbering at 1 anyway.
The first method is clumsy, but seems to be the best way to do it.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu