[comp.sys.mac.apps] Excel Contour Maps

robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob Schaeffer) (04/10/91)

Okay, first off thanks to the people that showed me how to do
x-y plots in Excel.  So now I want to do a contour map.  I have a
2-D area that I want to contour.  Any ideas?

Rob

--
robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

"My God, [static] it's full of [static] toasters..."
                           -- 2001, A Hardware Odyssey

valsta@cc.helsinki.fi (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.211914.7246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob Schaeffer) writes:
> Okay, first off thanks to the people that showed me how to do
> x-y plots in Excel.  So now I want to do a contour map.  I have a
> 2-D area that I want to contour.  Any ideas?
>
> Rob
>
> --
> robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
>
> "My God, [static] it's full of [static] toasters..."
>                            -- 2001, A Hardware Odyssey

Excel 2.2 does not do contour plots or other real 3-D.

BTW, is Excel 3.0 already out. It's supposed to have 3-D graphics.
In the mean while, WingZ does many kinds of 3-D (and reads excel files?)

Lauri Valsta
valsta@cc.helsinki.fi

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.212728.5934@cc.helsinki.fi> valsta@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>Excel 2.2 does not do contour plots or other real 3-D.
>
>BTW, is Excel 3.0 already out. It's supposed to have 3-D graphics.
>In the mean while, WingZ does many kinds of 3-D (and reads excel files?)
>
>Lauri Valsta
>valsta@cc.helsinki.fi

Excel 3.0 does not have contour plots, wireframe plots, of surface plots, at
least according to the MacWeek article I read about it. It will, however,
include 3D bar, pie, and line charts from what I understand.

Wingz does read Excel files and will do wireframe, contour, and surface plots,
as well as 3D bar, pie, and line charts.

Jess Holle
jess@mn.ecn.purdue.edu

hillman@uservx.afwl.af.mil (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr10.212728.5934@cc.helsinki.fi>, valsta@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> In article <1991Apr9.211914.7246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob Schaeffer) writes:
>> Okay, first off thanks to the people that showed me how to do
>> x-y plots in Excel.  So now I want to do a contour map.  I have a
>> 2-D area that I want to contour.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> --
>> robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
>>
>> "My God, [static] it's full of [static] toasters..."
>>                            -- 2001, A Hardware Odyssey
>
> Excel 2.2 does not do contour plots or other real 3-D.
>
> BTW, is Excel 3.0 already out. It's supposed to have 3-D graphics.
> In the mean while, WingZ does many kinds of 3-D (and reads excel files?)
>
> Lauri Valsta
> valsta@cc.helsinki.fi

Sorry if this is a repeat, I am just getting use to the system.  Full Impact
does 3-D plots, it has been out for a while so early bugs should be fixed.
Full Impact imports and exports EXCEL and 123 files.  According to the MAC
BIBLE WingZ does not import or export to anything.  I use EXCEL at work and
FULL IMPACT at home, Full Impact is much easier to use!!!  For instance it
allows using the arrow keys to edit your formulas, option arrow to move to a
new cell (or you can reverse these!)

Paul Hillman
HILLMAN@uservx.afwl.af.mil

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/24/91)

hillman@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:

>In article <1991Apr10.212728.5934@cc.helsinki.fi>, valsta@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>> In article <1991Apr9.211914.7246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob Schaeffer) writes:
>>> Okay, first off thanks to the people that showed me how to do
>>> x-y plots in Excel.  So now I want to do a contour map.  I have a
>>> 2-D area that I want to contour.  Any ideas?

>> Excel 2.2 does not do contour plots or other real 3-D.
>>
>> BTW, is Excel 3.0 already out. It's supposed to have 3-D graphics.
>> In the mean while, WingZ does many kinds of 3-D (and reads excel files?)

>Sorry if this is a repeat, I am just getting use to the system.  Full Impact
>does 3-D plots, it has been out for a while so early bugs should be fixed.
>Full Impact imports and exports EXCEL and 123 files.  According to the MAC
>BIBLE WingZ does not import or export to anything.  I use EXCEL at work and
>FULL IMPACT at home, Full Impact is much easier to use!!!  For instance it
>allows using the arrow keys to edit your formulas, option arrow to move to a
>new cell (or you can reverse these!)

To get this stuff strait, Wingz will read SILK format and Excel will write
SILK format.  This is the way to get Excel docs from Excel to Wingz.  As
always, the Mac Bible it a couple of version out of date.  But reading
Excel docs from Wingz is not as easy as Full Impact.

This is because Microsoft will not license the file format of Excel the way
it does with Word...  I guess when you almost own the market, then you
don't have to share.

hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/25/91)

In article <hoepfner.672498654@heawk1> hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:
>To get this stuff strait, Wingz will read SILK format and Excel will write
>SILK format.  This is the way to get Excel docs from Excel to Wingz.  As
>always, the Mac Bible it a couple of version out of date.  But reading
>Excel docs from Wingz is not as easy as Full Impact.

Actually, Wingz 1.1a will read Excel 2.2 files directly.  It's a $15
upgrade from Informix.

And it's "SYLK", not "SILK".  The latter is from a worm, the former is
from the days of Visicalc :-)
--
| Paul Jacoby, 3M Company        |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |