[comp.sys.mac.apps] After Dark Hangs...

piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Piper Keairnes) (04/24/91)

Once in a while, I'll return to my computer to see After Dark running. I
sit down, type a key, click my mouse, wiggle the mouse around, eject
disks, hit the computer on the side, jump up and down and scream, and
nothing seems to wake After Dark up. I don't have any special options set.

Any idea why? This is just an occasional occurrence, usually not a problem.

Mac IIci
8MB RAM
System 6.0.7
--
    Piper Keairnes     *     piper@rsvl.unisys.com      *  Purdue  University
  Unisys Corporation   *  uunet!rsvl.unisys.com!piper   *   Computing Center

<SKG102@psuvm.psu.edu> (04/25/91)

    I had the same problem.  This happened to me when both SoundMaster and
After Dark were running at the same time.  Either one of them works by itself
but if the screen saver is running and SoundMaster decided to chime in that
hung the Mac.  The solution I used was to trash SoundMaster since I figured
the screen was more important than Bart Simpson saying something every 15
minutes.  This problem also occurs with system 7.  I also noticed that under
system 6.0.5 that SoundMaster running with After Dark would turn off the After
Dark sounds such as the bubbling with the fish.

                                       Scott
                                       Project Assistant
                                       Penn State

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/25/91)

piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Piper Keairnes) writes:

>Once in a while, I'll return to my computer to see After Dark running. I
>sit down, type a key, click my mouse, wiggle the mouse around, eject
>disks, hit the computer on the side, jump up and down and scream, and
>nothing seems to wake After Dark up. I don't have any special options set.

>Any idea why? This is just an occasional occurrence, usually not a problem.

>Mac IIci
>8MB RAM
>System 6.0.7

   We are having a problem here with a similar setup.  Additionally we
have a Micron Xceed Cache card and we don't have the latest version of
After Dark.  Although this may be the problem, the user has quite a few
other INITs and CDEVs.  I have broused the HyperCard stack found on sumex
for INIT conflicts but have found no solutions there.

   When the IIci hangs, the Apple 15" portrait monitor just displays vertical
bars.  Other INITs I am suspicious of are OnLocation and QuicKeys 2 (which
uses a timer to start up a downloading program in the middle of the night).

   I suspect one of the background routines because it doesn't hang up while
the user is using it.  It is usually found the next morning in this state.

   Does anyone out there have a clue???  Thanx for any info.

--hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
--NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

m_herodotus@csc32.enet.dec.com (Mario Herodotus) (04/26/91)

--
 I saw the problem on a Mac IIcx, the INIT that made After Dark hang was
SmartAlarms.  This is a very valuable INIT...not as easy to trash as Bart

Pyro! doesn't have as many displays, and they aren't as nice, but it has
never hung on me.  I've used it for at least 8 months.

Mario

     I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K3 ] |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation   |
Customer Support Center         | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.            |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919      | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus

(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520       | - or - CSC32::M_HERODOTUS
[direct line (719) 592-5520]    |