[comp.sys.mac.apps] Excel on LC

v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) (04/18/91)

Does someone know (or have experienced) if Excel will work on a
Mac LC?  I have heard that the LC requires some sort of NuBus card
in order to run Excel.  Can anyone confirm or comment on it?  Thanksin advance!

Phillip Ng
v119mb9h@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

tneu1@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Steve Linnerooth) (04/18/91)

In article <71577@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) writes:
>Does someone know (or have experienced) if Excel will work on a
>Mac LC?  I have heard that the LC requires some sort of NuBus card
>in order to run Excel.  Can anyone confirm or comment on it?  Thanksin advance!

  Microsoft Excel needs a Math coprocessor in order to run.  The problem comes
in where the LC has none.  If you spend BIG $$ and get one, then that's
probably the card you heard of.  You can also get a program from
sumex.stanford.edu called "Software FPU", formerly known as Pseudo FPU.  It
emulates a hardware co-processor, and does it quite well.  It's slower (of
course), but it's better than $200 (?).
  There is also a way to start up Excel, bypassing the need for the
co-processor.  I think it's by holding command down as you start it up.
Someone should check this, as I'm not sure, but there is a way.

                                             - Steve Linnerooth
                                               tneu1@ccvax.iastate.edu
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/18/91)

In article <71577@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Does someone know (or have experienced) if Excel will work on a
>Mac LC?  I have heard that the LC requires some sort of NuBus card
>in order to run Excel.  Can anyone confirm or comment on it?  Thanksin advance!

MS Excel runs perfectly on the LC and the IIsi, but you need to have
version 2.2a or newer (the "a" is crucial).  This is a free upgrade if you
have version 2.2, but you have to call Microsoft and ask for it.

Seriously, we've been running Excel here for months on several LCs and a IIsi,
with no problems.

    JohnC

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

westley@orion.uucp (Terry J. Westley) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.071839.27937@news.iastate.edu> tneu1@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU responds:
>  Microsoft Excel needs a Math coprocessor in order to run.

Is it only later versions of Excel which require the coprocessor?  I
have an SE on which I run an earlier version, perhaps 1.05.  Will I have
to trash or upgrade my SE if I get the upgrade to Excel that I was
considering?

--
Terry J. Westley
Calspan Corporation, P.O. Box 400, Buffalo, NY 14225

vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields) (04/20/91)

In article <...> westley@orion.uucp (Terry J. Westley) writes:
>  [previous articles deleted...]
>
>Is it only later versions of Excel which require the coprocessor?  I
>have an SE on which I run an earlier version, perhaps 1.05.  Will I have
>to trash or upgrade my SE if I get the upgrade to Excel that I was
>considering?
>
>--
>Terry J. Westley
>Calspan Corporation, P.O. Box 400, Buffalo, NY 14225
>westley%planck.uucp@acsu.buffalo.edu | "planck!hercules!westley"@acsu.buffalo.edu

No, no, no...  Excel never "required" a FPU to run.  The problem excountered
on IIsi and LC machines was that Excel mistakenly assumed they had a FPU,
and therefore blew up when it tried to execute floating-point code.  This
has been fixed in version 2.2a (note the 'a').  Excel can work fine on
non-FPU equipped machines, it just needs to know there isn't an FPU!

Bob Shields
vbob@umd5.umd.edu

--
Bob Shields		 vbob@umd5.umd.edu

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr19.163343.28788@planck.uucp>, westley@orion.uucp (Terry J. Westley) writes:
> In article <71577@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) writes:
> >Does someone know (or have experienced) if Excel will work on a
> >Mac LC?  I have heard that the LC requires some sort of NuBus card
> >in order to run Excel.
>
> In article <1991Apr18.071839.27937@news.iastate.edu> tneu1@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU responds:
> >  Microsoft Excel needs a Math coprocessor in order to run.
>
> Is it only later versions of Excel which require the coprocessor?  I
> have an SE on which I run an earlier version, perhaps 1.05.  Will I have
> to trash or upgrade my SE if I get the upgrade to Excel that I was
> considering?

To clairfy this: Excel requires (or required) a math coprocessor if you
   had a 68030 microprocessor.  If you didn't have one (a coprocessor)
   you could still start Excel by holding some strange key combination
   when you started the program.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

arends@yosemite.metaphor.com (Dale M. Arends) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.174214.28030@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) writes:
[ some stuff deleted ]

>To clairfy this: Excel requires (or required) a math coprocessor if you
>   had a 68030 microprocessor.  If you didn't have one (a coprocessor)
>   you could still start Excel by holding some strange key combination
>   when you started the program.
>
>Jason Garms
>tgoose@eng.umd.edu

I don't think this is right as my wife has an SI without a math coprocessor
and is able to run Excel 2.whatever_the_current_one_is just fine.

Dale
Dale M. Arends                    arends@Yosemite.Metaphor.com
Metaphor Computer Systems, Inc.   ...!{apple|decwrl}!metaphor!yosemite!arends

Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.  They
probably aren't interested and maybe don't agree and therefore ...

lalonde@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Francois Lalonde) (04/26/91)

(Phillip C Ng) writes:
> Does someone know (or have experienced) if Excel will work on a
> Mac LC?  I have heard that the LC requires some sort of NuBus card
> in order to run Excel.  Can anyone confirm or comment on it?  Thanksin
advance!

This not a problem when you ad PseudoFPU in your system. This simply
replace the real FPU function. You can find this file in many FTP site.
Personnaly I got it trought indri.primate.wisc.edu in location /pub/mac.

--
Francois Lalonde
Institut de recherche            lalonde@ireq.hydro.qc.ca