[comp.sys.mac.apps] PS printing..

GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Luc Pauwels) (04/22/91)

Hi,

Does anybody have a utility to print a postscript file on an ImageWriter II ?
I'm sure there are such programs available but I can't seem to get my
hands on one ]  If someone could mail me such a program, it would be
greatly appreciated ]]]

Thanx :-)

Luc Pauwels (GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be)

rabbit42@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bruce McLaren) (04/23/91)

GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Luc Pauwels) writes:

>Hi,

>Does anybody have a utility to print a postscript file on an ImageWriter II ?
>I'm sure there are such programs available but I can't seem to get my
>hands on one ]  If someone could mail me such a program, it would be
>greatly appreciated ]]]

>Thanx :-)

>Luc Pauwels (GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be)

As has been said many times before: "Me too!"

--
Bruce McLaren                               | There is no problem too big
rabbit42@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (for most stuff)  |            to run away from

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/23/91)

In article <91112.144836GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Luc Pauwels) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Does anybody have a utility to print a postscript file on an ImageWriter II ?
>I'm sure there are such programs available but I can't seem to get my
>hands on one ]  If someone could mail me such a program, it would be
>greatly appreciated ]]]
>
>Thanx :-)
>
>Luc Pauwels (GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be)

There are three commercial programs to do this:  Freedom of Press (and
Freedom of Press Light), T-Script Basic, and UltraScript Mac+.

As far as I know of, there are no shareware/freeware utilities that will
print PS to a non-PS printer.  For information on the three products I
listed, look in the May 1991 Macworld in the article "Personal Page Printers
Arrive".

Cheers,

Alan
	|  Alan R Fry                     |   You know what I hate?    |
	|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |   Rhetorical questions     |

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (04/24/91)

In article <91112.144836GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GHGAQAY@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Luc Pauwels) writes:
>Does anybody have a utility to print a postscript file on an ImageWriter II ?

If you don't mind spending about $50, you can get Freedom Of Press Lite, which
has a third less calories than the regular FoP, and it tastes great :)!
Seriously, FoP Lite should do the trick, with one exception.  It's a pain to usesince you have to print the file to disk in PS format.  Once you do this, you
run FoP and print that file with it.  Also, it gives new meaning to the word
SLOW.

collins@wam.umd.edu (Bernard F. Collins) (04/24/91)

The Macintosh Bible says that in order to direct a PostScript document to
a file rather than to the printer one should click OK in the print
dialog box then immediatly hold down Command-F.  I have yet to get this
to work in any app including MacDraw II, SuperPaint, Image etc.  What am
I doing wrong?

Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.232031.13819@wam.umd.edu>
collins@wam.umd.edu (Bernard F. Collins) writes:

> The Macintosh Bible says that in order to direct a PostScript document to
> a file rather than to the printer one should click OK in the print
> dialog box then immediatly hold down Command-F.  I have yet to get this
> to work in any app including MacDraw II, SuperPaint, Image etc.  What am
> I doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong. The above listed programs (MacDraw,
SuperPaint, Image) do not generate PostScript output. These are all
QuickDraw programs that generate output in a variety of non-PostScript
formats (MacDraw- PICT2, SuperPaint- PICT,PICT2 and PAINT, Image-
probably TIFF). If you were to do the above-mentioned operation in a
program that uses PostScript (ie. PageMaker, FreeHand, Illustrator,
etc.), you would indeed generate a PostScript file. However, the
programs you mention don't use PostScript. No use of PostScript= No
PostScript document= Command-F don't work.

chuck

Chuck Dubuque           ||"It's one thing to think something that seems
Dartmouth College       || completely impossible. But quite another to
HB 4233 Hanover NH      || say it..." -- Silent Invasion, book II
03755                   ||
C.Dubuque@Dartmouth.edu || DartmouthUs -not- the Review, but it's close

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (04/24/91)

:
:> The Macintosh Bible says that in order to direct a PostScript document to
:> a file rather than to the printer one should click OK in the print
:> dialog box then immediatly hold down Command-F.  I have yet to get this
:> to work in any app including MacDraw II, SuperPaint, Image etc.  What am
:> I doing wrong?
:
:You are doing nothing wrong. The above listed programs (MacDraw,
:SuperPaint, Image) do not generate PostScript output. These are all
:QuickDraw programs that generate output in a variety of non-PostScript

no, no, no..
the macintosh LaserWriter printer driver converts <whatever> format
to postscript and the command-f "trick" tells the printer driver
to redirect its output to disk.  In theory this will work with
any mac application.

an exhaustive list of  exceptions: :-)
applications that bypass the printer driver: sendps, oztek
applications that remap the command-f key in the print dialog:MacDrawII

you can get the postscript output from MacDrawII using one of
several PD utilities which create a nice "check box" to
use instead of the lame *f business.
"laser-fix" is my favorite (sumex-aim.stanford.edu)

now if you want to _print_ the dumped postscript file thats another story :-(

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

n67786@cc.tut.fi (Tero Nieminen) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.021628.26309@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) writes:

   In article <1991Apr23.232031.13819@wam.umd.edu>
   collins@wam.umd.edu (Bernard F. Collins) writes:

   > The Macintosh Bible says that in order to direct a PostScript document to
   > a file rather than to the printer one should click OK in the print
   > dialog box then immediatly hold down Command-F.  I have yet to get this
   > to work in any app including MacDraw II, SuperPaint, Image etc.  What am
   > I doing wrong?

   You are doing nothing wrong. The above listed programs (MacDraw,
   SuperPaint, Image) do not generate PostScript output. These are all
   QuickDraw programs that generate output in a variety of non-PostScript
   formats (MacDraw- PICT2, SuperPaint- PICT,PICT2 and PAINT, Image-
   probably TIFF). If you were to do the above-mentioned operation in a
   program that uses PostScript (ie. PageMaker, FreeHand, Illustrator,
   etc.), you would indeed generate a PostScript file. However, the
   programs you mention don't use PostScript. No use of PostScript= No
   PostScript document= Command-F don't work.

Producing postscript does not depend on the program one is using because
it does not rely on the program to do this. Instead it is a feature of
the laser writer driver. So, any program capable of printing to laser
writer (no actual printer is required) can utilize this feature. I have
not verified wether or not theese particular programs would not produce
post script files, but if so, it is due to some obscure printer driver
usage.
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

jarmo@ae.tut.fi (Jarmo Sorvari) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.232031.13819@wam.umd.edu> collins@wam.umd.edu (Bernard F. Collins) writes:
   The Macintosh Bible says that in order to direct a PostScript document to
   a file rather than to the printer one should click OK in the print
   dialog box then immediatly hold down Command-F.  I have yet to get this
   to work in any app including MacDraw II, SuperPaint, Image etc.  What am
   I doing wrong?

You must disable background printing in the Chooser dialog box.  Then
Command-F will create a Postscript file, when printing.
! Jarmo Sorvari                         Control Engineering Laboratory      !
! jarmo@ae.tut.fi                       Tampere University of Technology    !
--------------------------------------- BOX 527, 33101 Tampere, Finland -----

slim@tazdevil.llnl.gov (Scott Whitman) (04/25/91)

Regarding sending a postscript file to a printer, I have no problem
doing that.  However, one thing I wanted to do was include the
postscript file from the mac into a latex document on a unix system.
I did this but the problem was that the diagram would always show up
on a different page, implying that a postscript showpage command was
part of the file.  I tried playing with the file to try and find the
showpage or something like this but to no avail.  Has anyone found a
cure for this problem?

		Scott
Scott Whitman			slim@tazdevil.llnl.gov
LLNL, L-416			(415) 294-4109
P.O. Box 808
Livermore, CA 94550

Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) (04/26/91)

In article <JARMO.91Apr24183201@ahma.ae.tut.fi> jarmo@ae.tut.fi (Jarmo
Sorvari) writes:
>  ... to work in any app including MacDraw II, SuperPaint, Image etc.
What am
>    I doing wrong?
>
> You must disable background printing in the Chooser dialog box.  Then
> Command-F will create a Postscript file, when printing.

This isn't strictly true. You can leave background printing on.
PrintMonitor will pick it up when its turn comes and make a PostScript
file out of it then.

Oh, and perhaps it's time to state the obvious: the command-F trick only
works if you're using the LaserWriter driver.

Cheers

Mike

mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason) (04/26/91)

>You are doing nothing wrong. The above listed programs (MacDraw,
>SuperPaint, Image) do not generate PostScript output. These are all

Hmmm...my SuperPaint V2.0 seems to be putting out PostScript.  Looks like it.
Prints like it on an LPS20.

Cheers...Gary
mason@habs11.enet.dec.com

mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason) (04/26/91)

>You must disable background printing in the Chooser dialog box.  Then
>Command-F will create a Postscript file, when printing.

Or you could use the LaserFix Init, or the OS7 LaserWriter driver, and simply
select "Print..." on the File menu.  You will have check boxes for save to file
in there (in one case, with or without LaserPrep, as I recall).

Cheers...Gary
mason@habs11.enet.dec.com