[comp.sys.mac.apps] prices

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) (04/21/91)

Hello,

	I was just sitting here reading about the price of Excel going
from $395 to $495 for the new release. Now I am not one to complain very
much, I try to purchase all of the software I use, but not prices like
this encourage software piracy. A clasic costs approximately 1000, so
how many people can afford to pay 1/2 of the price of their compuetr for
one software package.

Solution: Software companies should lower prices, to increase their
total sales. Just like government taxes. Increasing taxes does not
always increase revenue.

Just a thought

-Charles Bruen
 Aero/Astro MIT
 cabruen@athena.mit.edu

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/22/91)

>Solution: Software companies should lower prices, to increase their
>total sales. Just like government taxes. Increasing taxes does not
>always increase revenue.

I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.

--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.055054.7976@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>>Solution: Software companies should lower prices, to increase their
>>total sales. Just like government taxes. Increasing taxes does not
>>always increase revenue.
>
>I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.

Well, first you have to get the magazines to lower their advertising rates,
because people don't buy software unless it has big ads in the very best
glossy computer magazines (check out the top ten list).  Then we'll have
to get the programmers to take a pay cut.  The landlord won't mind if we
shave the rent a little.  Maybe you won't mind getting your software in
a plastic bag instead of a fancy printed box?  We'll even throw in a
zip-loc bag instead of a sandwich bag.

Next we'll ask users to take a cut in pay, so everyone gets in the spirit.

Sure, there is overpriced software, so DON'T BUY IT!  It's only people who
are willing to pay the bucks that set the value of software.  If nobody
bought, it wouldn't sell. If you feel that the feature set of the software
doesn't justify the price, it doesn't make it OK to steal.  I could make
a program and charge $12 and it would barely sell, but if I charge $795,
they'll write magazine articles about the program and compare it to
1-2-3.  Pricing computer software is a black art and it's the buying
public who'll determine if you made the right choice or not.

And, no, the old supply and demand lower the price and increase sales
doesn't always work in software.  People seem to equate the quality of
the software with its price.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr22.055054.7976@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>>Solution: Software companies should lower prices, to increase their
>>total sales. Just like government taxes. Increasing taxes does not
>>always increase revenue.
>
>I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.

  Pricing is a really difficult thing. I don't know much about pricing large
products like Microsoft Word, but I've learned a bit about pricing
"utility" applications, and the smaller stuff.

  If you set your price low, like more than 20% lower than your competition,
many people will believe that your product is inferior simply due to the
fact that it costs significantly less than other products. "If it's that
cheap, there must be something wrong with it." So you'd pick up a few
more sales from people who can't afford any product in the price range,
but you'd lose a lot more sales from those people who can afford the
going prices.

  One solution to the problem is to set your price up with everyone
else's and then offer deep discounts to bring the price down. For
example, we offer 20% discounts to academic institutions and 10% discounts
to anyone, academic or otherwise, who orders 10 or more. This way,
people say "Ok, it's priced like the others, so it should be good, but
it's also got a nice discount so I can get a real bargain on it."

  If someone calls me up and says "Hey, I'd like to buy 100 copies but
your price is too high." I promise you I'll do my best to bring the
price down to something reasonable. I can afford to do that sort of
thing, since we're a small company, but Microsoft can't, so you're
stuck.

  Anyhow, that's a quick outline on pricing strategies. There's a *lot*
of written material out there on the subject if you're interested in
it.

-David
--

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@eclectic.com

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.bc.ca (Rick McCormack) (04/25/91)

If, as has been suggested in this thread, there is an optimum price for a
software package, recent moves by publishers in both the Mac and the PC camp
would indicate that a "really good" spreadsheet" SHOULD have a price somewhere
between $100 and $200 -- as evidenced by Borland and Computer Associates
(Quattro and SuperCalc).

But seriously, folks, who uses a spreadsheet anyway?
(Duck, Ma! Incoming!  :-)
| IMAGISTICS Business Theatre Technology | Rick McCormack |
|  Interactive   Effective   Compelling  | Vancouver,  BC |
|________________________________________|________________|
|  UseNet: Rick_McCormack@mindlink.uucp  |  A O-L: Rique  |
|_________________________________________________________|
.

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/25/91)

In article <73263@brunix.UUCP> omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:
>In article <1991Apr22.055054.7976@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>>I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.
[stuff deleted]
>shave the rent a little.  Maybe you won't mind getting your software in
>a plastic bag instead of a fancy printed box?  We'll even throw in a
>zip-loc bag instead of a sandwich bag.
Actually, I wouldn't mind getting my software in a sandwitch bag if it
would reduce its price 50%... actually, the folks who make MacCheese
*use* this concept!

[stuff deleted]
>bought, it wouldn't sell. If you feel that the feature set of the software
>doesn't justify the price, it doesn't make it OK to steal.  I could make
No, I wasn't condoning stealing. Note I said *tempt* me to piracy. A few
years ago, I had to evaluate my piracy in view of my moral beliefs, and
it was very hard, but I had to give it up. It made my conscience feel
good but it doesn't make my pocketbook feel any better <grin>.

[stuff deleted]
>And, no, the old supply and demand lower the price and increase sales
>doesn't always work in software.  People seem to equate the quality of
>the software with its price.
That's too bad... personally, I go by recommendations & reviews. That's
one of the reasons I value comp.sys.mac.

--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that
  Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax | way."                   - Harry Poindexter
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

wilde@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (04/26/91)

In article <110@eclectic.COM> kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) writes:

>>I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.
>
>  Pricing is a really difficult thing. I don't know much about pricing large
>products like Microsoft Word, but I've learned a bit about pricing
>"utility" applications, and the smaller stuff.
>
>  If you set your price low, like more than 20% lower than your competition,
>many people will believe that your product is inferior simply due to the
>fact that it costs significantly less than other products. "If it's that
>cheap, there must be something wrong with it." So you'd pick up a few
>more sales from people who can't afford any product in the price range,
>but you'd lose a lot more sales from those people who can afford the
>going prices.

I'm really not picking on David here (I don't even know the man
so why should I pick on him ?)  But this is an oft-repeated piece of
wisdom for which I've seen suspiciousely little real data to back it
up.

I'd be really curious, Dave, (or any one else) could give us hard
numbers/facts that show this to be true. I realize sales numbers are
something that companies are traditionally tight-lipped about (unless
you're NeXT - "we sold 8,000 machines, we sold 8,000 machines, Wuppie !"
But that's off the subject), but a good case-in-point "we sold
package XXX at yyy, then doubled the price (without fixing bugs,
changing packaging, or anything else of course) and sold quadruple the
number".

Unless someone can actually point to  a product history like this,
I'm going to relegate this little tid-bit to the category of "oft
repeated pieces of folk wisdom with little basis in fact that take
on a life of their own simply by being repeated to many times on the
net (and anywhere else).

-Nick

Nick Wilde                                           wilde@cs.colorado.edu

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (04/26/91)

In article <110@eclectic.COM> kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) writes:
>  One solution to the problem is to set your price up with everyone
>else's and then offer deep discounts to bring the price down....
>  If someone calls me up and says "Hey, I'd like to buy 100 copies but
>your price is too high." I promise you I'll do my best to bring the
>price down to something reasonable. I can afford to do that sort of
>thing, since we're a small company, but Microsoft can't, so you're
>stuck.

Hun?  I don't quite understand this.  Surely Microsoft can afford
to offer greater discounts than a samll startup company.  Microsoft,
moreover, is one of the companies that sets the standard by which
products are judged.  If Joe Smith Software markets Joe's Writer
for $30, people may compare its price to MS Word and conclude that
it's inferior.  If Microsoft dropped the price of Word to $30...
well, people wouldn't stop buying Word because it has an established
reputation.  But the pundits would comment on the "new trend in
software pricing," and other companies would be forced to follow suit.

gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu (Just another theatre geek.....) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.174251.4967@colorado.edu> wilde@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) writes:
 >In article <110@eclectic.COM> kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) writes:
 >>  If you set your price low, like more than 20% lower than your competition,
 >>many people will believe that your product is inferior simply due to the
 >>fact that it costs significantly less than other products. "If it's that
 >>cheap, there must be something wrong with it."
 >I'm really not picking on David here (I don't even know the man
 >so why should I pick on him ?)  But this is an oft-repeated piece of
 >wisdom for which I've seen suspiciousely little real data to back it
 >up.
 >Unless someone can actually point to  a product history like this,
 >I'm going to relegate this little tid-bit to the category of "oft
 >repeated pieces of folk wisdom with little basis in fact that take
 >on a life of their own simply by being repeated to many times on the
 >net (and anywhere else).

	Not software, but in local theatre pricing, we didn't experience a
pickup in ticket sales until we priced our shows upward into something in line
with other theatres of our class.

	It happens.

--
-----
Roger Tang, gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.174251.4967@colorado.edu> wilde@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) writes:
>In article <110@eclectic.COM> kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) writes:

>>  If you set your price low, like more than 20% lower than your competition,
>>many people will believe that your product is inferior simply due to the
>>fact that it costs significantly less than other products. "If it's that
>>cheap, there must be something wrong with it." So you'd pick up a few
>>more sales from people who can't afford any product in the price range,
>>but you'd lose a lot more sales from those people who can afford the
>>going prices.

>I'd be really curious, Dave, (or any one else) could give us hard
>numbers/facts that show this to be true. I realize sales numbers are
>something that companies are traditionally tight-lipped about (unless
>you're NeXT - "we sold 8,000 machines, we sold 8,000 machines, Wuppie !"
>But that's off the subject), but a good case-in-point "we sold
>package XXX at yyy, then doubled the price (without fixing bugs,
>changing packaging, or anything else of course) and sold quadruple the
>number".
>
>Unless someone can actually point to  a product history like this,
>I'm going to relegate this little tid-bit to the category of "oft
>repeated pieces of folk wisdom with little basis in fact that take
>on a life of their own simply by being repeated to many times on the
>net (and anywhere else).

Actually, I think you gave a pretty good example yourself.  Computers
like the NeXT and Amiga are wonderful machines, but the way they are
marketed leaves one to think that they aren't as nice as they really
are.  I've seen the NeXT ads, "15 MIPS only $3,xxx!!!"  I know people
around here that look at that and then look at an SE/30 or IIsi and
say, "Gee, there must be something wrong with the NeXT.  I mean, you
can barely get off the ground in the Mac world with that kind of money."

Myself, I would seriously consider the NeXT if I could afford a IIsi.  When
it comes to neophytes, though, the fact that an Amiga with AMAX will have
more bang-for-the-buck than a comparably priced Mac just doesn't enter their
mind.  I own an SE, so don't flame me for being a NeXTer or an Amiga-head.
I won't go into details on why I prefer the Mac (I'm not a big fan of
flame wars and I hope this doesn't turn into one), let's just say I
like Apple's style.

I'm no marketing whiz, but I think that the best thing NeXT could do for
itself is to double (at least) its prices.  Of course, they'd probably have
to come out with some "feature" that justifies the increase.  If they had
just *barely* undercut the Mac IIci (which might be pushing it, since it is
a IIfx level machine), I think they would be doing much better than they
are now.  Yeah they'd have a huge profit margin like Apple and their
customers would whine, but at least they'd have customers . . .

As Spike Lee might say, "Money, it's gotta be the suits."  :-)

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.4  *********************
*                                     |  "Please put litter in its place"   *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |           ---McDonald's packaging   *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   Wouldn't that be on the ground?   *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) (04/26/91)

What really bothers me is $495 for the new Excel 3.0. Even if it is the
best spreadsheet program on the market (debatable!) why on earth should
I have to pay 1/2 the cost of my computer for it.

As another example Framemaker. I use it in on our lab's computer at it
is fantastic in my opinion. So now I am faced with a problem. I could
slip a couple of disks in and put it on my computer at home, for free.
But No! I want to be an honest person and actually buy it, to allow the
company to make a profit on its hard earned work. The result, and $800 debit.

Give me a break.

-Charles Bruen
 Aero/Astro MIT
 cabruen@athena.mit.edu

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/26/91)

wilde@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) writes:

>In article <110@eclectic.COM> kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) writes:
>>>
>>>I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.

>>  If you set your price low, like more than 20% lower than your competition,
>>many people will believe that your product is inferior simply due to the
>>fact that it costs significantly less than other products. "If it's that
>>cheap, there must be something wrong with it." So you'd pick up a few
>>more sales from people who can't afford any product in the price range,
>>but you'd lose a lot more sales from those people who can afford the
>>going prices.

>I'm really not picking on David here (I don't even know the man
>so why should I pick on him ?)  But this is an oft-repeated piece of
>wisdom for which I've seen suspiciousely little real data to back it
>up.

   The one piece of software that doubled in price without much additions
to it was Director.  MacroMind said (in MacWEEK I think) that people were
not taking it seriously because it was only about $100.  So when it was
renamed to Director (from whatever its former name was) it either doubled
or tripled in price because that is what people "expected" to pay for a
package like it.

   Another popular myth going around is that "piracy" only occurs in homes
because people can't afford the product.  I have read of many institutions
where piracy is strictly forbidden by the upper management but the middle
managers say we can't afford this or it takes to long to get, so get a copy
and get the job done.

   At NASA we opened a blanket purchase agreement with several mail order
houses and a couple of local dealers so that when things are needed, the
scientists or engineers can get the software over night.  I think that in
many cases it isn't even the cost.  If you have to wait 3-4 months to get
an application (or even an upgrade to one) who is going to bother!

   As always, just my thoughts...

hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr22.055054.7976@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>>Solution: Software companies should lower prices, to increase their
>>total sales. Just like government taxes. Increasing taxes does not
>>always increase revenue.
>
>I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.

It's really the ease of theft, and the improbability of detection,
not as much as the prices, I think. The price of a Mercedes doesn't
tempt me to piracy, but if you could drive one into your two-car
garage and hit command-D "Duplicate" and put the original back,
I'd think about it over the weekend.

It would still be wrong.

--Cy--
cy@dbase.a-t.com

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr26.171224.10880@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>In article <1991Apr22.055054.7976@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>>I second that! Yes, these prices sorely tempt me to piracy.
>
>It's really the ease of theft, and the improbability of detection,
>not as much as the prices, I think. The price of a Mercedes doesn't
>tempt me to piracy, but if you could drive one into your two-car
>garage and hit command-D "Duplicate" and put the original back,
>I'd think about it over the weekend.
>
>It would still be wrong.

*sigh* I should have known to put a disclaimer on that original
message... note I said, "tempt".

I am not advocating piracy, ok?

--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (04/29/91)

In article <hoepfner.672628672@heawk1> hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:

>   At NASA we opened a blanket purchase agreement with several mail order
>houses and a couple of local dealers so that when things are needed, the
>scientists or engineers can get the software over night.  I think that in
>many cases it isn't even the cost.  If you have to wait 3-4 months to get
>an application (or even an upgrade to one) who is going to bother!

Right on, it's the paperwork.  Not only does paperwork cost absurd
delays, but I'm all but certain that the actual cost of doing the
paperwork, should anybody ever really measure it, typically exceeds
the cost of the software itself.  It's a cost-saving measure, you see,
to make sure that we don't make unnecessary purchases....

Oh, yeah--disclaimer.  Nothing I say should be construed as the
opinion of my employer.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |