[comp.sys.mac.apps] dithering color picts to B/W

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) (04/25/91)

I'm looking for an app which would allow me to dither 8 bit color picts
into 1 bit B/W picts . I'm using an SE/30 and need to be able
to view color picts and print them on my deskwriter.
Any program which allows me to dither should do the trick. Shareware
would be preferred, but any pointers to commercial software would
also be appreciated.

Karl

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/25/91)

In article <3066@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) writes:
>I'm looking for an app which would allow me to dither 8 bit color picts
>into 1 bit B/W picts . I'm using an SE/30 and need to be able
>to view color picts and print them on my deskwriter.

Karl, check out GIFConverter 2.2.6.  It's main function is a GIF
viewer/editor, but it does an excellent job with PICT/PICT2/TIFF images
as well.  It has adjustable dithering.  Shareware $40.

There was also a recent blurb in MacWeek for a new RDEV (printer driver)
that will dither color images for printing on the ImageWriter II.  There
is a demo version floating around the BBS systems here in the Twin
Cities, and (of course) I can't remember it's name!  It worked
adequately well on my IW II, and if you have a color ribbon, it is
supposed to allow 32,000 colors via dithering.  I don't know if it would
work on the DeskWriter or not.

--
.--------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Paul Jacoby, 3M Company        |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (04/26/91)

In article <3066@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) writes:
>I'm looking for an app which would allow me to dither 8 bit color picts
>into 1 bit B/W picts .

The only one I'm aware of if the software which comes with the MacVision
Video Digitizer.  It offers lots of options for dithering and can open/save
PICT, TIFF, MacPaint and RIFF files.

Only problem is I don't know if they sell it separately from the digitizer....

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (04/30/91)

In article <3066@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) writes:
>I'm looking for an app which would allow me to dither 8 bit color picts
>into 1 bit B/W picts .

If you are working with GIF files, you can use QuickGIF by
AmariliSoft (sp?), which is shareware. You should find it at most
FTP sites - it was at sumex last time I looked. Is has three
different dithering methods, which seem to be quite good.

Of course, if you have absolutely nothing to do with GIFs, then
you can ignore me completely :-)

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.172142.330@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>In article <3066@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) writes:
>>I'm looking for an app which would allow me to dither 8 bit color picts
>>into 1 bit B/W picts .
>
>If you are working with GIF files, you can use QuickGIF by
>AmariliSoft (sp?), which is shareware. You should find it at most
>FTP sites - it was at sumex last time I looked. Is has three
>different dithering methods, which seem to be quite good.

Well, since the poster said that he's using PICT files, I don't think QuickGIF
is going to do the job.  However, GIFConverter (current version is 2.2.6) will
dither 8-bit color PICTS (and is supposed to do 24-bit, although I haven't
tried it).  GIFConverter is available from Sumex, and is $40 shareware.

Hope this helps,
--Mike