[comp.sys.mac.apps] CADD

fszeman@oz.lerc.nasa.gov (Pat Zeman) (04/30/91)

   I'm looking for any information on very basic, inexpensive
drafting (not drawing) programs.  I use MacDraft 1.2 because
it has the basic tools and in it's day cost about $100.  It's
showing its age with repeated system upgrades.  Now version
2.1 and other fancy programs are $200-$600.

   Any comments on Generic CADD Level 1 ($83). Is there anything
else to look at?

   Also, is Architect by Abracadata ($64) strictly a floor plan
program, or a basic drafting program with templates?

   Net discussion prefered, E-mail is ok. Thank you,
--
Patrick L. Zeman
USAF/NASA Lewis Research Center            Wk. Ph: 216-433-6788

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.105216.1721@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> fszeman@oz.lerc.nasa.gov
(Pat Zeman) writes:

>   I'm looking for any information on very basic, inexpensive
>drafting (not drawing) programs.  I use MacDraft 1.2 because
>it has the basic tools and in it's day cost about $100.  It's
>showing its age with repeated system upgrades.  Now version
>2.1 and other fancy programs are $200-$600.
>
>   Any comments on Generic CADD Level 1 ($83). Is there anything
>else to look at?

I looked at Generic CAD when it first came out, but it offered little beyond
MacDraw. Maybe they've finally put in some functionality in level 1,
but I doubt it. If they offer higher levels, check those out.

A friend uses Generic CAD level 3 (or maybe higher) on an IBM and it is very
powerful -- it even does 3-D. Unfortunately it's about as clumsy as you'd
expect an IBM application to be.

We use Vellum, which is very powerful and is spectacularly easy to use.
The tools are well chosen, and there is a "smart cursor" which IS smart and
incredibly useful. Vellum beats any CAD program I've seen anywhere by a mile.
Unfortunately, it's expensive (reasonable to universities, though). By the
way, having mentioned IBMs above, let me add that Vellum is now available
for the IBM.

Some cheaper choices...

Claris CAD is reasonably powerful and easy to use. It's the only program
besides Vellum that I know of with a smart cursor of any kind. Unfortunately,
the rest of the interface has a "function/method/modifier paradigm" (or some
such nonsense). Claris is proud of it, but we found it clumsy, annoying,
and MUCH less intuitive than Vellum's elegant simple interface.

Pegasys was the third program we looked at which we liked. It is a good basic
CAD program, and we almost bought it, but it isn't as easy to use as Vellum,
and the demo crashed too often for comfort. They claimed to have fixed the
problem, and they may well have -- if you are interested, get the demo first
and try it out.

-- Russell
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.105216.1721@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> fszeman@oz.lerc.nasa.gov (Pat Zeman) writes:
>   Any comments on Generic CADD Level 1 ($83). Is there anything
>else to look at?

I would advise looking into Claris CAD.  The newest version has a wonderful
interface, a kind of extended MacDraw, but with much better CAD features.
It may or may not be in your price range; I don't remember the price, and you
did not specify a range.

There are probably other packages as well, but I don't have any experience
with other medium to low end packages.  I play around with an old version
of Generic CADD for a while, but it just wasn't for me.  It's feature set
was smaller than that of Claris CAD, and I didn't like the interface.  Maybe
things have changed since then.

Jess Holle

jhi@tsunami.Berkeley.EDU (John Im) (05/01/91)

I also recommend Claris CAD 2.0, but only if you can't afford Vellum (like me).
I tried out Vellum and a few other programs, and Vellum was easily the easiest
to use (and most powerful) in its price range.  Claris CAD is the next best,
although it started slowing down noticibly after about the 3rd layer (16-color
mode, IIcx).  I gues that's what you get for a program that needs to work on
any Mac all the way back to the Plus.  Vellum did not have any trouble with
multiple layers.

Actually, you didn't mention what type of Mac you have.  Vellum only runs on
a MacII or later, and you need tons of memory (I think 4meg).

If you have access to University prices, Claris CAD is the best deal (got
mine for $230+tax, but it's around $350 now).

- John