[comp.sys.mac.apps] printing folios for making half-sized brochures

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (04/16/91)

I'm looking for a program that will print two half pages onto each
side of a full-sized page so that the resulting bundle can be folded
in the middle and be stapled down the spine to make a 5.5x8.5inch
brochure.  I remember hearing about such a program on sumex but was
unable to find it (called something like paperback maker).  Besides
reducing the pages to fit side-by-side, such a program needs to figure
out what page numbers need to be printed on the same physical page so
that the paging works out correct when it all is folded into a book,
and it needs to coordinate double-sided printing.  Any pointers to
such a program would be useful.

I took a look at dynopage, but it seems to handle two-sided loose-leaf
printing in terms of page placement, but not folios (where, for
example, one piece of paper will have page N on the left and page 1 on
the right, and on the reverse will have page 2 on the left and page
N-1 on the right).  If there is some setting of dynopage that will do
this I would love to know.

thanks for any pointers,
Margot Flowers
Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!flowers

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.191842.1777@cs.ucla.edu> flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
(Margot Flowers) writes:
> I'm looking for a program that will print two half pages onto each
> side of a full-sized page so that the resulting bundle can be folded
> in the middle and be stapled down the spine to make a 5.5x8.5inch
> brochure.

This may not be the kind of response you're looking for, but FullWrite
Professional will handle this pretty easily. You just create your document
normally in portrait orientation and choose the Print command. In the
Print dialog box, click the check boxes for "Print Two-up", "Print
Collated" and "Print Both Sides". (Two-up printing only works with
PostScript printers.) FullWrite will print half of your pages, reduced to
66% and printed two-up per side. It will then print a sheet of
instructions telling you how to take the output pages and re-insert them
into the laser printer. When you have done this, FullWrite will print the
remaining pages. You end up with a stack that you can fold in half and
staple. There's your book!

Two things to watch for:

1) You need to allow a gutter for folding. Go to the Format menu and
choose Layout. In the dialog box that appears, click the box that says
"Mirror Left/Right Page Layout" and drag the margins in the page icon (or
type values) to allow a gutter.

2) The instructions that are printed to show you how to re-insert the
output pages in the laser printer may not be *quite* right. I had to do it
twice to adjust for the paper path on my QMS PS-1500. However, if you're
using a LaserWriter or other common printer you should have no trouble.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU (04/17/91)

This is trivial in ANY word-processor that can do columns.  From
Page Setup, select "Wide".  Then define two columns spreading accross
the wide page, with enough space in between them to fold and staple.  Note that unless you have a large screen, you won't be able to view the whole wide page
at once on screen.  Also, don't forget to play around with the margins
to squeeze as much text as possible onto the page.  Good luck.
From: rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi)

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.201946.20374@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:
> This is trivial in ANY word-processor that can do columns.  From
> Page Setup, select "Wide".  Then define two columns spreading accross
> the wide page, with enough space in between them to fold and staple.  Note that unless you have a large screen, you won't be able to view the whole wide page
> at once on screen.  Also, don't forget to play around with the margins
> to squeeze as much text as possible onto the page.  Good luck.
> From: rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi)

This is not TRIVIAl in any word processor, only in ones that support this
feature.  If you do it the way you have suggested, the pages will be out
of order.  Try it for yourself.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.145354.11596@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason
Garms) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.201946.20374@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:
>> This is trivial in ANY word-processor that can do columns.  From

>> at once on screen.  Also, don't forget to play around with the margins
>> to squeeze as much text as possible onto the page.  Good luck.
>> From: rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi)
>
>This is not TRIVIAl in any word processor, only in ones that support this
>feature.  If you do it the way you have suggested, the pages will be out
>of order.  Try it for yourself.

And how do you auto-number the pages?

Bob Jenner, Computing Department
Northern Territory University
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT, Australia, 0811

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr19.082108.856@darwin.ntu.edu.au> jenner@post.ntu.edu.au
writes:
> In article <1991Apr18.145354.11596@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason
> Garms) writes:
> >In article <1991Apr16.201946.20374@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
> usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:
> >> This is trivial in ANY word-processor that can do columns.
> >> From: rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi)
> >
> >This is not TRIVIAl in any word processor, only in ones that support
this
> >feature.  If you do it the way you have suggested, the pages will be out
> >of order.  Try it for yourself.
>
> And how do you auto-number the pages?

Agreed, this is *not* trivial in *any* word processor that supports
columns - the pages appear out of order.

Back to my original response: If you follow the instructions I gave for
doing this with FullWrite, the pages *are* printed in the proper order. To
auto-number the pages, just create a footer (or header) that includes the
auto page number, as you would in any word processor.

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.082108.856@darwin.ntu.edu.au>, jenner@post.ntu.edu.au writes:
> In article <1991Apr18.145354.11596@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason
> Garms) writes:
> >In article <1991Apr16.201946.20374@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
> usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:
> >> This is trivial in ANY word-processor that can do columns.  From
>
> >> at once on screen.  Also, don't forget to play around with the margins
> >> to squeeze as much text as possible onto the page.  Good luck.
> >> From: rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi)
> >
> >This is not TRIVIAl in any word processor, only in ones that support this
> >feature.  If you do it the way you have suggested, the pages will be out
> >of order.  Try it for yourself.
>
> And how do you auto-number the pages?
>
> Bob Jenner, Computing Department
> Northern Territory University
> PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT, Australia, 0811

Let's try this one more time...
  If you  print out a document in two column format using landscape mode
and then put the sheets together and fold and staple, the pages will come
out in the wrong order.
  Lets pretend... If you were to do this with two pages(printed front and
back)-- you fold the pages over and staple and now look at the text.  Regardless
of how you numbered the pages, the content will be in the order:
	2 3 6 7 8 5 4 1
or some other combination depending what order you print onto the back
of the pages.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

P.S.  I don't mean to sound insistent.  Maybe I misunderstood the direction
of the original question.... or maybe not.

acw@Apple.COM (Art Willis) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr18.145354.11596@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.201946.20374@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:
>> This is trivial in ANY word-processor that can do columns.  From
>> Page Setup, select "Wide".  Then define two columns spreading accross
>> the wide page, with enough space in between them to fold and staple.  Note that unless you have a large screen, you won't be able to view the whole wide page
>> at once on screen.  Also, don't forget to play around with the margins
>> to squeeze as much text as possible onto the page.  Good luck.
>> From: rsb5c@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Richard S. Bondi)
>
>This is not TRIVIAl in any word processor, only in ones that support this
>feature.  If you do it the way you have suggested, the pages will be out
>of order.  Try it for yourself.
>
>Jason Garms
>tgoose@eng.umd.edu

A new "virtual" printer driver called DynoPage from Portfolio Systems,
21 East Market St., Rhinebeck, NY 12572; phone (914)876-7744, allows you
to do this easily.  It supports many formats of printing one or more
logical pages to one physical page.  Alledgedly, it works with any word
processor or application which knows how to print, but I have only tried
it with TeachText and Microsoft Word 4.0.  Portfolio Systems also sells
special paper to work with DayRunner, DayTimer, PhiloFax, etc. at truly
exorbitant prices (Can you believe $20 per 100 sheets, or $100 per ream?).
It came with a demo version that can be redistributed, if anyone is
interested.  The demo version prints a large add across every page,
usually blotting out some of your text.  Contact me for more details.

--

Art Willis                  Not affiliated with Portfolio Systems
acw@Apple.COM               Don't even know 'em. Honest.