[comp.sys.mac.apps] LaTeX for the Macintosh?

mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) (05/02/91)

   Is there a LaTeX for the Macintosh?  I suppose a person could invest
in Unix and then get a PD version, but that sounds a little expensive.
Is there some utility which can convert LaTeX to Microsoft Word (and
maybe back again)?
--
Russell Mosemann                  Internet:             mosemann@unl.edu
Network Analyst                   Bitnet:               mosemann@unlvax1

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.214402.10320@unlinfo.unl.edu>, mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:
>   Is there a LaTeX for the Macintosh?

	There are two (that I know of) versions of TeX for the Mac, and
they both support LaTeX.  Textures is a commercial program, available from
Blue Sky Research.  OzTeX is public domain (or whatever you call programs
that you aren't asked to pay for), and is available on several ftp sources,
the main one (I believe) being midway.uchicago.edu (128.135.12.73), in the
directory pub/OzTeX.

	Personally, I use OzTeX.

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (05/02/91)

In article <00947F6A.174D9B40@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
#>In article <1991May1.214402.10320@unlinfo.unl.edu>, mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:
#>>   Is there a LaTeX for the Macintosh?
#>
#>	There are two (that I know of) versions of TeX for the Mac, and
#>they both support LaTeX.  Textures is a commercial program, available from
#>Blue Sky Research.  OzTeX is public domain (or whatever you call programs
#>that you aren't asked to pay for), and is available on several ftp sources,
#>the main one (I believe) being midway.uchicago.edu (128.135.12.73), in the
#>directory pub/OzTeX.
#>
#>	Personally, I use OzTeX.
#>
#>           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
#>           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

You might check to see if your university has OzTeX available
locally. At Berkeley, it sits in a server (it takes up almost
10 megs) in an AUFS volume which can be reached through an
Ethernet connection with the Chooser.

If you've used TeX on UNIX, by the way, OzTeX isn't completely
intuitive. Instead of opening your file from the File menu,
as one would expect from a Mac program, you open it from
the TeX menu. If you have a LaTeX file, in the same menu,
you have to set the program to LaTeX or it will complain
about bad TeX commands. Anyway, once you open the file
from the TeX menu, you can print it. Note that there is
an option to substitute Times Roman for the TeX font,
which may speed up printing.

I couldn't find a manual and had to figure the above out
by trial and error and one phone call for support.

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

In article <1991May2.150018.26383@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:
>In article <00947F6A.174D9B40@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>#>In article <1991May1.214402.10320@unlinfo.unl.edu>, mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:
>#>>   Is there a LaTeX for the Macintosh?

>#>	Personally, I use OzTeX.

>If you've used TeX on UNIX, by the way, OzTeX isn't completely
>intuitive. Instead of opening your file from the File menu,
>as one would expect from a Mac program, you open it from
>the TeX menu.

	I don't think this is a flaw.  For instance, Textures is similar -
to typeset the file, the command is in the "Typeset" menu or something
similar.  The File menu will open the file for the editor in Textures, not
the typesetter.  OzTeX doesn't have a built-in editor - other than that,
the two programs are similar in this regard.

>If you have a LaTeX file, in the same menu,
>you have to set the program to LaTeX or it will complain
>about bad TeX commands.

	And if you try to process a LaTeX file with TeX, you'll get the
same message.  I don't see the problem.

>Note that there is
>an option to substitute Times Roman for the TeX font,
>which may speed up printing.

	I don't think this is a good idea, because the Times font kerns
differently than the CM fonts.  If you don't have the requirement that a
file processed on the Mac look the same as if it were processed on a
mainframe (VAX, Unix box, or what have you), then this is fine.  If you
need this property, however, only use the CM fonts.

>I couldn't find a manual and had to figure the above out
>by trial and error and one phone call for support.

	There is a manual with the distribution.  It's in either the file
TeX-docs or LaTeX-docs (can't remember which right now...)

	What say we move this discussion to comp.text.tex?